• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma Canon Compatibility (1 Viewer)

SrikanthKashyap

Hi,

I have been using Canon EOS-300 film body along with sigma 170-500mm lens with considerable success. Well, I wish to upgrade by camera body to
EOS-350D while I continue to use my sigma 170-500mm lens.

Should I anticipate any problems in using such a camera system; I meant incompatibility of lens with camera body?

Please, if any of you is using such a combo. and have an advice to share mail me back.

Cheers:)
Sri

Hi Sri,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. You seem to have got an answer already :t:

SrikanthKashyap said:
Hi,

I have been using Canon EOS-300 film body along with sigma 170-500mm lens with considerable success. Well, I wish to upgrade by camera body to
EOS-350D while I continue to use my sigma 170-500mm lens.

Should I anticipate any problems in using such a camera system; I meant incompatibility of lens with camera body?

Please, if any of you is using such a combo. and have an advice to share mail me back.

Cheers:)
Sri

It may depend upon how old the Sigma lens is. I have the latest 170-500mm DG lens and it works perfectly with my 350D. Some of the older Sigma lenses need re-chipping, it just depends. When you look for a Canon 350D take your lens with you and demand to test it in the shop.

Hi and welcome to BF

I have used this lens and camera combination without problems, however older copies of the lens can have problems on digital bodies. Best thing to do is to email Sigma with the serial number of the lens and they'll be able to confirm if it will work on a digital body.

Welcome Sri :)

I agree with Pete (postcardcv). While current versions have no issues, there have been reports of older Sigmas needing to be re-chipped (if possible) in order to work with today's digitals. If you have an older lens, it would be prudent to follow Pete's suggestion.

Steve

I should add that if you test the lens on a digital body you need to check how it performs stopped down. The one Sigma lens that I have tried that had a problem was fine wide open, but gave an 'Error 99' message when used stopped down.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back