• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

seasonal changes (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

As all of you out there who contribute to the BTO Garden Birdwatch will know (and those of you who don't, why not?) we are now into the 'blip' season when a lot of the birds that we have been feeding hrough the Breeding/Fledging season disappear for a while and we can start to economise a bit in preparation for the Late Autumn/Winter influx.

For anyone who doesn't know what I mean by 'the blip' go to

www.bto.org/gbw/results_index.htm

and have a look at the 'individual species trends'. The 'animated maps' are also very interesting.

Meanwhile here's my take on the subject

'Time for a break'

We are taking the kids on a picnic, we're going to give them a treat
Old Farmer Brown has been harvesting and he's just cut his field of wheat.
We've got to get out there sharpish, in fact we have to go now,
'Cause within another couple of days he'll be out again with his plough.
The trouble with modern farming ways, it don't give you long to feed
Before the ploughman comes along and turns in all the dropped seed.
Still, we'll make a party of it and the kids can have a good laugh,
And in the puddles just by the gate they can have a drink and a bath.
But as I say, we won't be long, so after all is said and done,
If you'll just keep the feeders topped up you'll hardly know we've been gone.

Bill

Last edited:
Good one Bill and very seasonal!!
Funnily enough I've just been watching the Starlings as they are beginning to flock again.....seems awfully early but they know best eh?
Best wishes,

Perfectly described Bill. There`s been a lot of combining here in Dorset already with one or two of the fields already ploughed. Also, there`s been what I consider to be the appalling early cutting of hedges. Not only a problem for wildlife and birds, but what about my blackberries and sloes?

Wendy Morris said:
Also, there`s been what I consider to be the appalling early cutting of hedges
Hi Wendy,
Not only too early but what a mess they make of the hedges.The tops are ripped and damaged by the modern methods of cutting.Not only do they look awful but thorns and mess are left in the lanes waiting for the unsuspecting cyclist or walker to get a puncture!!
Thats my moan for the day!!!!!!! :-C
Best wishes,

Our walkers don't get many punctures here Ruth! :'D

Hi Bill,

A brilliant one again and definately seeing it all from a Bird's view.

Love, Sue.

Ruth Daniel said:
Hi Wendy,
Not only too early but what a mess they make of the hedges.The tops are ripped and damaged by the modern methods of cutting.Not only do they look awful but thorns and mess are left in the lanes waiting for the unsuspecting cyclist or walker to get a puncture!!
Thats my moan for the day!!!!!!! :-C
Best wishes,

We actually had a puncture in a car tyre one year from a particularly vicious thorn. There doesn`t seem to be any way of avoiding the mess, all the roadside hedges get done eventually.

Off for a quick sloe gin before bedtime!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back