• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kestrel paintings (1 Viewer)

I remembered some photos of a kestrel I saw on the stones at Carnac in Brittany a couple of years ago. There was a nice light and the photos were ok but I'm trying to do a back view and can't see the feather pattern on the back. Can anyone help with a clear photo or a simple line drawing. This is as far as I've got- its a poor scan because the pictures on a board and light is getting in at the sides.:stuck:

Attachments

• kestrel1.jpg
    kestrel1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 136
How about this one.
Keith.

I remembered some photos of a kestrel I saw on the stones at Carnac in Brittany a couple of years ago. There was a nice light and the photos were ok but I'm trying to do a back view and can't see the feather pattern on the back. Can anyone help with a clear photo or a simple line drawing. This is as far as I've got- its a poor scan because the pictures on a board and light is getting in at the sides.:stuck:

Attachments

• _MG_2305.JPG
    _MG_2305.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 131
Keith-FANTASTIC- just the job- many thanks. I can finish it now :t:
PS Love the work on the blog- have a look folks.

Last edited:
Just the single bird - and a buzzard too. They're both imprints (tho' not food imprints), which means they're very relaxed for photography purposes.
I did put a female Kestrel in with my male a couple of years ago - they fought continually, and he would have killed her I suspect. To breed successfully, I'd have to break the bond between him and me before introducing the female bird - and I can't bring myself to do that.
Keith.

What a helpfull chap you are Keith! your male kestrel is a stunner. Have you got
a pair or just the single bird?

Love the painting Wendy - lovely tones. And to echo Andrew - that's a stunning (and extremely helpful) image you posted Keith - excellent.
Regarding your imprints, though - do you think it possible to 'break the bond' as you suggest. I thought it was an irreversible process (when I had the fem merlin, I was very careful not to spend too much time with her - very difficult to do as she was absolutely gorgeous!!!).

so many lovely kestrels, these field paintings are all I have to offer, I really should sketch one the next time I see one!

Attachments

• deluzfieldsketches 006.jpg
    deluzfieldsketches 006.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 66
  • deluzfieldsketches 007.jpg
    deluzfieldsketches 007.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 67
  • deluzfieldsketches 008.jpg
    deluzfieldsketches 008.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 65
These imprints were parent-reared (just to confuse the situation), and have become imprinted on me over a period of time. It's possible to break this bond - I'd have to make sure the bird doesn't see me for a period of time and introduce the female gradually, using a partition initially. Falconers from America who trap wild adult birds have assured me that even some of these wild birds can eventually become imprinted on their owner. Breaking the bond with a screaming food imprint that someone has had from a few weeks old would be a different proposition - some say it's still possible, but I'm not so sure.

My buzzard was parent-reared, and yet this year built a nest and layed 3 eggs. She's still broody even at this late stage in the year, and when I'm about jumps into the nest bowl. In the spring, the Kestrel will identify a suitable nest ledge, and when I'm about, he'll go to the ledge and begin his 'head-down' chupping display.

All in all, quite a strange senario - my wife's not impressed, especially with Suzzie the Buzzard!

Keith.

Regarding your imprints, though - do you think it possible to 'break the bond' as you suggest. I thought it was an irreversible process (when I had the fem merlin, I was very careful not to spend too much time with her - very difficult to do as she was absolutely gorgeous!!!).

Wendy, your kessie is shaping up to be a real nice job. It'd be lovely to have some rocks around here but, the geology doesn't really favour it being mostly chalk.

Nick, first you 'knock-up' a stunning flycatcher then 'all you have to offer' are brilliant kestrel field studies. You really are sinking low.... NOT!

Woody

I am really glad i started this thread,seeing some great paintings and picking up tips at the same time!
Best from mike.

A big thanks to Keith for his stunning photos. I had problems with this painting mainly to do with the light on the bird- it looks ok in the photo but was difficult for me to capture in the painting because of lack of detail and the general shape and feather pattern on my bird was very different from Keiths photo.
Anyway for possible interest I have included the photo and a couple of compositions- the bird is looking a bit too 'rounded ' and its quite interesting seeing all three together, lost the light on the left of the bird -don't want to fiddle with it any more- Time for a break B :)
The question is shall I have another go at it|>|

Attachments

• kestrel photo.jpg
    kestrel photo.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 72
  • kestrel2.jpg
    kestrel2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 71
  • kestrel4.jpg
    kestrel4.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I love the colours and tones here Wendy, and I wouldn't be too worried about his general shape - I think it's fine. Perhaps you may strengthen the dark 'tears' on the bird's cheeks - very indicative features of this little falcon. I like the composition of the last upload (they're both very nice, though).

these field paintings are all I have to offer, I really should sketch one the next time I see one!

I love, love, love that centre kestrel -- forget mere study, this stands on its own!

Seems I have to change my mind about which Derry painting is my favourite a lot lately...

Wendy, you've got the light with such a delicate touch, I wonder how you do it, in my head to get bright light, I have to put it next to black to make it show up (which is completely wrong!!) I need to know your secrets! The shape looks fine, it's only when you posted the photo with it that I noticed differences (not mistakes!).

Thanks- comments taken on board. Wish I could spend more time on my birds but unfortuneately can't at the moment|=(|

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back