• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egyptian Geese (1 Viewer)

boyinthebush

Registered Loser
I know these were introduced into the UK and therefore aren't "wild" in the true sense but are they on the UK list?
I saw a pair at Anglers Country Park in West Yorkshire on Sunday (reasonably far from their Norfolk stronghold) and am not sure what sort of "tick" to give them.

I always say it's your list so do what you like.

However, Egyptian Goose is category C on the British List. Quoting from the BOU website

C Species that, although originally introduced by man, either deliberately or accidentally, have established breeding populations derived from introduced stock, that maintain themselves without necessary recourse to further introduction.

C1 Naturalised introductions Species that have occurred only as a result of introduction. E.g. Egyptian Goose Alopochen aegyptiacus.

Most people regard Categories A-C as tickable, I think.

The population on the Norfolk Broads must now be huge. I was there for a week a couple of weeks ago and counted about 200 near St Benet's Abbey. There is also a population at Rutland Water although I'm not sure how many birds are there at the moment.

Oh yeh, and I'd tick 'em FWIW ;)

They also seem to be the first young i see each year, and their habit of standing in trees always seems a little odd for geese

Am I the only person who thinks Egyptian Geese are actually quite nice birds? They're still pretty scarce here in the south west and seeing one always brightens up my day - even thought there's probably more chance of them being escapes than wandering feral (and therefore tickable) birds.

Bluetail said:
Am I the only person who thinks Egyptian Geese are actually quite nice birds?

Nope! And they are still rare enough around here (not even annual despite being so close to Rutland) to give you a buzz when you turn one up.

They are certainly doing well in the Thames Valley, the pair on my local lake in Langley park have raised two broods for each of the last three years, ranging from one to seven fledging each time. Little Marlow pit recorded a site record count of 138 yesterday.

Regards,

Robin

Bluetail said:
Am I the only person who thinks Egyptian Geese are actually quite nice birds? They're still pretty scarce here in the south west and seeing one always brightens up my day - even thought there's probably more chance of them being escapes than wandering feral (and therefore tickable) birds.

Well, there's you and brianhstone. Nobody else likes them. They are even quite rubbish in Africa, although a distant flight view is not too bad. They way they waddle like a toddler that needs changing and the "my eyes are leaking" face pattern give me the creeps. But, despite all their bad points I have a guilty love for the horrorbeasts because of the way they single-handedly disprove intelligent design.

Attachments

• i'm a harsh item.JPG
    i'm a harsh item.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 100
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back