• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chicago in early October, any good places? (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I'll have a week in Chicago, IL in October, but no rental car this time. Are there any good local birding spots? I assume there might still be some migration going on.

Chicago has quite an active birding community Robert and a lot of places to go. I'm downstate and not that familiar with them. If you send me your email I can put your question to the Illinois listserv. Or you can sign on here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ILbirds/

and ask them yourself. You should get lots of feedback.

dogfish said:
By chance, I've just posted a very similar request. Will watch both threads

Sean

Instead of watching these threads you really should follow the suggestions in my previous post. You will get a lot more info (and probably some offers of a personal guiding) doing so, than by waiting on BF.

A discovery: the City of Chicago website has a very impressive Environment section with birding map, 10 most popular birding sites, checklist etc. http://cityofchicago.org. Apologies: couldn't get the full URL to copy.
Sean

Last edited:
Birding in Chicago

There are several excellent spots along the lakefront. Montrose Harbour, Jarvis Bird Sanctuary, Northerly Island, and Jackson Park (farther south on the south side of the Museum of Science and Industry). I would check out the Chicago Park District website (or something similar) for more info (directions, etc.).

Mike

mg2green said:
There are several excellent spots along the lakefront. Montrose Harbour, Jarvis Bird Sanctuary, Northerly Island, and Jackson Park (farther south on the south side of the Museum of Science and Industry). I would check out the Chicago Park District website (or something similar) for more info (directions, etc.).

Mike

I have just come back now from Chicago. Main purpose was not to go birding, but to see my grandchild. Thus, I only made it to North Pond, the Bird Sanctuary, and to Montrose. The latter was best on a windy cold day. My main problem was to identify the various sparrows and fall warblers. But it's good to know about the other places as well, for future visits. Thanks, again, to everybody.

Very intersting happenings in October at the Jasper Pulaski state park in NW Indiana That is the site where 1000s of sandhill cranes congregate.
Sam

hello, I was in chicago a week ago on vacation .I didnt only go birding.but I saw some beatiful birds and ,butterflies i,nsects .I would recommend the naturemuseums in lincoln park . I was in the peggy notebaert naturemuseum and in the park by the north pond saw lots of admirals and viceroys butterflies , dragonflies ,they even fly in the chicago streets like small helicopters,or was it hummingbirds not shore . never seen those big dragonflies in sweden anyway,could anyone tell me what kind of dragonflies or butterflies they are would be very interesting. good luck on your trip to chicago from johnnyb39.

Very intersting happenings in October at the Jasper Pulaski state park in NW Indiana That is the site where 1000s of sandhill cranes congregate.
Sam

Indeed! It is a magnificent sight. A few pictures from last year's migration can be seen in my gallery. I am planning on going this year again.

If you can round up a car...

I know you mentioned early October (and no car), so this recommendation is probably too late. In any case, if any one else is planning a trip to chicago land you may want to schedule a visit to:

Camp Sagawau
12545 West 111th Street
Lemont, IL 60439

100 yards east of Archer Ave., or four miles west of Swallow Cliff Toboggan Slides on Rt. 83 near Lemont, Illinois

(630) 257-2045

Head toward St. Louis on I-55, then south on Route 83 and then follow the balance of the directions.

Here's a link to the page their web site tht describes this camp:
http://www.fpdcc.com/tier3.php?content_id=27&file=env_27e

There's a lot to see in the area, but I'd plan at least a half a day at Cam- Sagawau.

K-Wren

I know you mentioned early October (and no car), so this recommendation is probably too late. In any case, if any one else is planning a trip to chicago land you may want to schedule a visit to:

Camp Sagawau
12545 West 111th Street
Lemont, IL 60439

100 yards east of Archer Ave., or four miles west of Swallow Cliff Toboggan Slides on Rt. 83 near Lemont, Illinois

(630) 257-2045

Head toward St. Louis on I-55, then south on Route 83 and then follow the balance of the directions.

Here's a link to the page their web site tht describes this camp:
http://www.fpdcc.com/tier3.php?content_id=27&file=env_27e

There's a lot to see in the area, but I'd plan at least a half a day at Cam- Sagawau.

K-Wren

Hello K-Wren

I only just rechecked this thread today, and I found this entry. Almost two years late, but up to date for my upcomig visit in early June. Thus my question: Is this Camp Sagawau open to individual visits or just for guided tours? I don't quite get it from their website.

Hello K-Wren

I only just rechecked this thread today, and I found this entry. Almost two years late, but up to date for my upcomig visit in early June. Thus my question: Is this Camp Sagawau open to individual visits or just for guided tours? I don't quite get it from their website.

Hi Swissboy,

I have a great book called "A Birder's Guide to the Chicago Region". I've never been to the camp, but I looked it up for you & it says:

In recognition of its fragility, the canyon if off limits to individuals unless they are with district personnel. They offer weekly hikes on Wed, Fri, Sat & Sun.

So yes, only for guided tours. But from what I read, it's a wonderful place to bird. I doubt much has changed since this book's publishing in 1999, but I would place a phone call as your trip nears. Have fun!

Hi Swissboy,

I have a great book called "A Birder's Guide to the Chicago Region". I've never been to the camp, but I looked it up for you & it says:

In recognition of its fragility, the canyon if off limits to individuals unless they are with district personnel. They offer weekly hikes on Wed, Fri, Sat & Sun.

So yes, only for guided tours. But from what I read, it's a wonderful place to bird. I doubt much has changed since this book's publishing in 1999, but I would place a phone call as your trip nears. Have fun!

Hello SixxStar,

Thanks for your kind help! I have this book on order now. I think I'll get into the area sufficiently often to warrant its possession!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back