• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oldsmar/Tampa in beginning of March (1 Viewer)

Kibet

I am planning to be over for the start of March for a week (4th-11th) and be based at Oldsmar. I will be visiting my Dad who is not a birder but should be open to trips.

After a successful trip to San Francisco in November, I was looking at the local audubon societies for walk suggestions, as that gave me some good areas last time. I may join the Audubon walks on the two saturdays if available.

Not looking to travel too far as will not have a car on my own. Likely my Father will drive or his friend, and failing that it would be Uber, as public transport seems more like UK (not good) than SF (good).

Below are sites that I have seen so far as a first pass. Any more suggestions or those on the list to avoid. Also, happy for people to join if people are interested in meeting up. I am a relaxed birder that takes photographs, and if you look at the trip report for SF you will get a good idea on what I am like.

Moccasin Lake NP (Clearwater Audubon Walk), Honeymoon Island (clearwater Audubon walk), North Anclote River State Park, Dunn Water treatment plant, Possum Branch Preserve, Brooker Creek Preserve, John Chesnut Sr Park, Hammock Park. I will also likely have RE Olds Park as an easy to get to park in Oldsmar.

Thank you in advance.

Rough Itinerary, although exact sites may switch days depending on whether people on here, on another group or when in Florida, express an interest in joining. Or if I hear about any recommendations.

The sites visiting on the day may be a different order, as sometimes it is difficult to see what parks are open or not for sunrise. Ebird checklists that have time collected sometimes were before official opening times of some parks, as an example.

March
Sat 4th - Boyd Hill (St Pete Aud Walk) + Fort Desoto
Sun 5th - Wall Springs Park + Dunn Water Reclaimation
Mon 6th - Possum Branch Preserve + Forest Run Park + Sheffield Park
Tues 7th - John Chesnut Sr Park
Wed 8th - Hammock Park + Honeymoon Island state Park
Thurs 9th - Moccassin Lake + Philippe Park
Fri 10th - Mobbly Beach + Double Branch Preserve + Upper Tampa Bay Regional Park
Sat 11th - Lake Seminole Park (St Pete Audubon) (Fly out evening)

Should be fun. I am also thinking about not taking my scope as will have bins and camera.

Slight change just in case people are following and could not edit post.

Based on conversations, I have now decided to do the Possum Branch section on Sunday and Brooker Creek on the Monday.

Thank you. You are there a lot earlier than me, but I would still be curious for what you find where.

Niels

The itinerary changed a fair bit.

Saturday- Boyd Hill and Fort DeSoto
Sunday - Possum Branch, Wall Springs/Dunn Water Reclaimation, Fred Howard Park
Monday - John Chesnut Sr Park
Tuesday - Brooker Creek Preserve
Wednesday - Honeymoon Island
Thursday - Philippe Park, Mocassin Lake
Friday - Brooker Creek Preserve, Tarpon Springs Power Grid ( 2 types of parakeets), Anderson Park
Saturday - Jay B Starkey Park (Pasco)
I will be posting a trip report this week about the birds seen.

Neils - Fort DeSoto and Honeymoon Island show up with the highest bird numbers in Ebird. The trouble I found was that they were so large, it was not a high bird to walk ratio. Possum Branch Preserve was smaller, and allowed me to get some good pictures of the more common ones such as Brown Thrasher, Blue Jay, Pileated Woodpecker, etc...

Brooker Creek Preserve second visit was hoping to see the Swallow-tailed Kite again. Apparently, there should be a good number up there when you come along. This was also the only site that I saw several other birders (on both days), other than on Honeymoon Island. If you are interested in seeing the Monk and Black-Hooded (Nanday) Parakeets, let me know and I will give you directions.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back