• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8 x 32 Fieldpro - loose eyecups (1 Viewer)

Emma

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with loose eyecups on the new Fieldpro binoculars? I am a glasses wearer so dont unscrew the eyecups for use however the right eye cup lifts out of the barrel with the rain guard, this has happened twice. The first time I lost the eye cup while out birdwatching and the second time it was still in the rainguard. Swarvoski have sent me replacement eye cups and I am in the process of sending them to Swarovski to check that the internal thread is ok.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem?

If the Field Pro eye cups are like the old ones they should screw on firmly. I can't imagine the eye cups falling out of my 7x42 SLC B or 8x30 SLC B or even my 8x30 CL Companion.

Is it just the top rubber portion of the eye cup that comes loose?

Bob

If the Field Pro eye cups are like the old ones they should screw on firmly. I can't imagine the eye cups falling out of my 7x42 SLC B or 8x30 SLC B or even my 8x30 CL Companion.

Is it just the top rubber portion of the eye cup that comes loose?

Bob

Thank you for your reply Bob. It is the whole eye piece that is coming out of the barrel. This has happened for the second time with a new eye piece so this is why I am wondering if the thread is too shallow.

I have a narrow interpupillary distance and the over engineered rain guard acted like a bottle cap opener and I twice lost the top rubber pieces. The eyecups were replaced by Swarovski proptly without fuss, but I replaced the rain guard with a basic Opticron version (£3) which is much more fit for purpose. Whether this will help in your situation I'm not sure.

Thank you for your reply Bob. It is the whole eye piece that is coming out of the barrel. This has happened for the second time with a new eye piece so this is why I am wondering if the thread is too shallow.

Never had this issue in 13 years of using 8x32ELs or heard it mentioned by other users. The eye-cups are user-removable for maintenance/cleaning/replacement and it's pretty easy to ensure that they are screwed in securely; just retract the rubber eye-cup completely and continue to twist carefully but firmly inwards to 'nip up' the eye-cup assembly securely to the barrel. To test, fully extend the rubber eye-cup and continue to twist gently outwards; there should be no movement if it is done up securely. If this doesn't work then you must have a problem of some kind, but I can't think for the life of me what it could be; next stop, email Swarovski!

I have a narrow interpupillary distance and the over engineered rain guard acted like a bottle cap opener and I twice lost the top rubber pieces. The eyecups were replaced by Swarovski proptly without fuss, but I replaced the rain guard with a basic Opticron version (£3) which is much more fit for purpose. Whether this will help in your situation I'm not sure.

Thank you for your response Robert. The whole eye piece has been coming out so this is why I am wondering if it is the thread. Swarovski have already sent a replacement rainguard to see if the fit was different but it is the new rain guard that has pulled the eye piece out again. Replacing the guard with a different manufacturer would be an option but when you pay so much for the binoclulars they need to be right!

Never had this issue in 13 years of using 8x32ELs or heard it mentioned by other users. The eye-cups are user-removable for maintenance/cleaning/replacement and it's pretty easy to ensure that they are screwed in securely; just retract the rubber eye-cup completely and continue to twist carefully but firmly inwards to 'nip up' the eye-cup assembly securely to the barrel. To test, fully extend the rubber eye-cup and continue to twist gently outwards; there should be no movement if it is done up securely. If this doesn't work then you must have a problem of some kind, but I can't think for the life of me what it could be; next stop, email Swarovski!

Thank you for your response Rotherbirder. I have been a Swarovski owner for the last 9 years and didnt have any problems with my old 8x32 ELs. The eye pieces in my 8x32 field pro's have been taken out and put back as they should be and as I have mentioned in one of my previous posts I am a glasses wearer so the eye cups arent extended for use in the field so they arent being un-screwed at all.

As previously mentioned I am already in contact with Swarovski about this and they have asked for the binolculars to be sent to them for checking.

Thank you for your response Rotherbirder. I have been a Swarovski owner for the last 9 years and didnt have any problems with my old 8x32 ELs. The eye pieces in my 8x32 field pro's have been taken out and put back as they should be and as I have mentioned in one of my previous posts I am a glasses wearer so the eye cups arent extended for use in the field so they arent being un-screwed at all.

As previously mentioned I am already in contact with Swarovski about this and they have asked for the binolculars to be sent to them for checking.

Sorry to hear that you really do seem to have a problem with your new 8x32 EL FP. My experience is limited to the original EL which suffered no issues in this respect. I hope that you get satisfaction from Swarovski and that you keep the forum posted regarding Swarovski's response and the outcome.

Good luck!

RB

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back