• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Farne Islands end of July (1 Viewer)

Jonny721

Hey guys was wondering if you could help me with this.

I'm going to Northumberland for a weekend at the end of July (23rd-25th i think) and was wondering if there would still be any seabirds e.g. puffins or terns on the farne islands or would I be slightly too late to see them. Also if there is anywhere else that would be good at that time of year info would be appreciated.

Thanks Jonny

You'll definitely be fine for seabirds at that time. Most of the good Northumberland sites run south of the coast from there: Boulmer, Amble, East Chevington and Cresswell Ponds. Lindisfarne to the north is worth visiting anyway and inland, although much further away, is Kielder Forest.

By late July numbers of birds will be decreasing rapidly on the Farnes. Guillemots are already on their way. Tern numbers seem to have declined in the last week (effects of the poor weather? if so, the force 6 N forecast for three days time could do even more damage).

The earliest of the passage waders should be around by then, so coastal pools are worth visiting.

I spend a lot of time in Kielder, regularly leading tours, and I would never consider going there in late July.

cheers
martin

I went at the end of July once and if I remember rightly didn't see a single puffin. I think it was pretty much just kittiwakes and shags on show.

Early May - mid June is the peak time to go.

"Force 6 Northerly in 3 days time"? I hope not. I'm going up there tomorrow and checked BBC and Weatherline forecasts before booking Billy Shiels for next Tuesday. Weather outlook looked very pleasant with light Southerlies/South Westerlies and temps. in the high teens and low twenties.

Linsdisfarne (Holy Island) is certainly worth a look. Depending how far you can travel I guess there might be Roseates available to the south. Whereabouts are you staying?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back