• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipits in a European context (1 Viewer)

doug_newman

Hi all.

Just a quick question. I want to start brushing up on my European birds.

When it comes to Pipits in Southern Africa, they are all highly variable and truth be told, although a lot of people talk about the characteristics of various feather tracts as a means of ID, you cannot use plumage reliably on Southern African species except maybe to narrow down to a smaller set of species.

All the colour of the lower mandible is also variable with some birds seen with a yellowish lower mandible and others of the same species showing pinkish and worse, the same bird seeming to change between yellowish and pinkish depending on the angle and nature of prevailing light.

SO!! In a Southern African context at any rate, the vast majority of Pipits are best identified using behavior (tail wagging/tail pumping behavior and the way they forage - pecking and walking style etc).

Has anyone done any work on the behavioral aspect of Pipits in Europe?

I have bought a few books on Birds of Britain and Europe and do not really see anything of that nature mentioned in any of the books?

Hi all.

Just a quick question. I want to start brushing up on my European birds.

When it comes to Pipits in Southern Africa, they are all highly variable and truth be told, although a lot of people talk about the characteristics of various feather tracts as a means of ID, you cannot use plumage reliably on Southern African species except maybe to narrow down to a smaller set of species.

All the colour of the lower mandible is also variable with some birds seen with a yellowish lower mandible and others of the same species showing pinkish and worse, the same bird seeming to change between yellowish and pinkish depending on the angle and nature of prevailing light.

SO!! In a Southern African context at any rate, the vast majority of Pipits are best identified using behavior (tail wagging/tail pumping behavior and the way they forage - pecking and walking style etc).

Has anyone done any work on the behavioral aspect of Pipits in Europe?

I have bought a few books on Birds of Britain and Europe and do not really see anything of that nature mentioned in any of the books?

I am not sure, but I think all european pipits can be identified on a combination of plumage differences and call.Do all African pipits have the same call?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back