• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 15x60 B/GA T*...How good is a late model by today's standards? (1 Viewer)

Once you get a chance to play with the Zeiss, you will discover that its mass and relative compactness will allow you to take a quick peek while sitting down when off a tripod.

The Nikon tripod mount operates on the same mechanical principle as the Zeiss mount. The centre shaft which measures 13 mm in diameter is covered by neoprene I believe. it will allow your Zeiss to rotate to accommodate IPD needs. The finishing at the inside of the Nikon cap is very smooth as is the base - both rounded to match the centre shaft. The Zeiss is finished the same. The Nikon when compared to the Zeisss has about 3 times the bearing surface to accommodate a plate.

When you place your tripod adapter on the centre shaft, is will not be a tight fit. That comes when the cap head is tightened down. The bearing surface at top and bottom is sufficient to make everything rigid. To preclude wear on the neoprene covering of the centre shaft, I cover that with the super thin electrical tape so no galling can take place.

My 20 year experience with the 15x60 BGAT tells me for carrying it around, no neck strap is comfortable. If I have some distance to cover, I carry it in a small back pack.

You will have to share with us your adventures with your Zeiss.

Once you get a chance to play with the Zeiss, you will discover that its mass and relative compactness will allow you to take a quick peek while sitting down when off a tripod.

The Nikon tripod mount operates on the same mechanical principle as the Zeiss mount. The centre shaft which measures 13 mm in diameter is covered by neoprene I believe. it will allow your Zeiss to rotate to accommodate IPD needs. The finishing at the inside of the Nikon cap is very smooth as is the base - both rounded to match the centre shaft. The Zeiss is finished the same. The Nikon when compared to the Zeisss has about 3 times the bearing surface to accommodate a plate.

When you place your tripod adapter on the centre shaft, is will not be a tight fit. That comes when the cap head is tightened down. The bearing surface at top and bottom is sufficient to make everything rigid. To preclude wear on the neoprene covering of the centre shaft, I cover that with the super thin electrical tape so no galling can take place.

My 20 year experience with the 15x60 BGAT tells me for carrying it around, no neck strap is comfortable. If I have some distance to cover, I carry it in a small back pack.

You will have to share with us your adventures with your Zeiss.

Many thanks John. I was wondering about using some tape etc.

Did you keep the rubbery objective covers folded back in use..they appear to rest on or near the focuser...did they tear off eventually or would you consider snipping them off cleanly and using them manually?

I'm sure I'll have many questions for you about this amazing instrument.

I love the focuser position...and it moves with a perfectly dampened silkyness. Same with the centre hinge...beautifully matched to the weight and size of the binocular with no stiction. This binocular is a masterpiece. Looking through it, as opposed to examining it, will be an added bonus!

Regards,
Rathaus

Rath - the objective cover attachment is the one weak area in the covering system. Where they attach on the barrels eventually weaken and begin to tear on the edge. I haven't found a way to glue them back. Zeiss has sent me the covers including the armor for each of the barrels, but I haven't figured a way to stretch them over the barrels (assuming I have removed the original armor first - which is absolutely sound after 20 years)

Bending them back between the barrels gets them out of the way, but when they flop around, eventually they will snag on something.

I wouldn't cut them off, but when they break loose, there is a simple way to still use the cups.

Wide black sticky Velcro stuck on the inside of the barrels (male for example) with the fuzzy (female) stuck on the middle of the outside cups can be used. The cups unattached to the shell cling nicely to the outer surface of the objective covering (which is massive). And when you want them out of the way, you just take them off the objectives and stick them on the inside of the barrels at the Velcro tag. They don't go anywhere. Just pull them loose when you want to cover the objectives. Simpl, and it works.

By the way, the fold down eye cups which screw on the 15x60 interchange with the Dialyt 7x42, the 7x50 porro, and the Dialyt 8x56. Zeiss will send you an extra pair.

Hope this helps.

John

Though the conditions are still hazy, I set the zeiss on a tripod and had a look.

One of the first things that stands out, at this power and size is - how can these bins have such generous eye relief, a huge fov, and a totally relaxed and forgiving view all at the same time?...these are nearly as easy as looking through Fuji 7x50s. I was under the impression that you couldn't have all of these attributes at the same time unless your bino was a metre long?

I went looking for CA (a daft thing to do) down the side of a fourteen story brick building 250-300m away I and found a touch, with eyes off axis...on axis it was superb. Then, I realised I hadn't even pulled this building fully into full focus. That focuser is like some kind of surgeons tool...I had those brick edges so sharp I could see ants crawling about on them ...in the lousiest of viewing conditions.

Im getting some interesting heat haze effects as this bino ruthlessly pulls radio masts five km away into focus (it's been a long time since I used a 15x binocular of any kind). Like I said its frustratingly hazy (fires about) and the conditions are warm with bright but flat lighting. It did however have me wondering if these are a leaded glass? What are the attributes of lead glass?

Cheers,
Rathaus

Last edited:
Tripod upgrade

The ingenious Rathaus Prototype Zeiss mount this am

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Stability issues apparent. Undesirable structural integrity. Lacking in versatility.
In summary, an abomination.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Issues rectified

Realised I was onto a bad..possibly catastrophic... thing, so I did some homework and came back with this a few hours later

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Nicely damped manfrotto fluid head on a tripod I can use in all sorts of strange ways in the wilderness....one of the legs turns into a monopod...and the legs can splay almost flat etc...great for use while sitting on the ground or rock...very happy. I'm heading into the wilderness in September to watch for endangered marsupials and bird watching and this set up will be coming with me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 148
Well done Ratty, looks like a terrific result.

Have you booked your hire-camel to carry it?
Some prefer the freighter-kangaroo which is considered a leap forward. :-O

Lee

Well done Ratty, looks like a terrific result.

Have you booked your hire-camel to carry it?
Some prefer the freighter-kangaroo which is considered a leap forward. :-O

Lee

Thanks Lee

Yes it's not going to fit into a coat pocket. I'll see how it packs up into a camera backpack.

Cheers,
Rathaus

Hello,

On another forum, I read a rather different take on this Zeiss. My takeaway is that folks differ and testing a used binocular may be rife with problems.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Hello,

On another forum, I read a rather different take on this Zeiss. My takeaway is that folks differ and testing a used binocular may be rife with problems.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

That is a review of the GAT* not the BGAT*

I have had both and I must say that his review is spot on for the GAT*
With the redesign of the eye pieces in the BGAT*, the image quality and color has also been improved. The yellowness that he speaks about also disappears in the B version.

I actually never liked the GAT version at all, I found it too difficult to get my eyes close enough to appreciated the FOV and the brightness and contrast felt lower than the B version

That is a review of the GAT* not the BGAT*

I have had both and I must say that his review is spot on for the GAT*
With the redesign of the eye pieces in the BGAT*, the image quality and color has also been improved. The yellowness that he speaks about also disappears in the B version.

I actually never liked the GAT version at all, I found it too difficult to get my eyes close enough to appreciated the FOV and the brightness and contrast felt lower than the B version

I tested the latest edition B, the yellow is still there and CA is pretty obvious, as is weak contrast and transmission.

It's a nice piece of glass but it doesn't hold up to modern stuff in any way. All just my opinion as John pointed out...different eyes, different views.

I tested the latest edition B, the yellow is still there and CA is pretty obvious, as is weak contrast and transmission.

It's a nice piece of glass but it doesn't hold up to modern stuff in any way. All just my opinion as John pointed out...different eyes, different views.

Hi James,

You probably right ...
I have a thought though, maybe different serial numbers were treated with improvements in coatings...could be a possibility.

The BGAT I had displayed a different output to the GAT, both had perfect internals, just subtle differences in the image output. I agree about the CA though, both models displayed this, didn't seem to bother me on either.

As for contrast, I could definitely see a subtle improvement in the B version..not by much, but noticeable under certain lighting situations.
Was it up to today's offerings?...absolutely not, but I did see a difference between the two models...
my 2 cents worth

cheers
Peter

Eye relief

Getting to know this bino better now,

I know it's a B model, but The eye relief on this Zeiss seems to be huge. Ultra comfortable at first, but I'm realising that if I get too close ie: right up to the eye pieces I lose a bit of clarity. I'm finding it slightly tricky to find an anchor point for my eye sockets to get that astonishing clarity. It's always there, but I have to get my eyes into the sweet spot. The CA disappears then too.

Part of getting to know the bino I guess....or great for when I finally need glasses.

I couldn't give a rats about field flatteners, CA off centre, or nauseating myself by splitting double stars 99.9% out from centre...so yes heaps of newer bins will do all that stuff better just like my cannon 10x42 and to a lesser extent the Swarovisions.

If you like a bin that has a huge and deeply satisfying sweet spot, outrageous resolution at 15x, stunning contrast, huge depth of field given its 15x, and works at dusk like it has some kind of sophisticated military night vision technology...then this binocular excels. It is stunning. Just know it's limits and your particular needs. It's a bit like a big Habicht - it's the pinnacle of the old school, and that's what I like so much about it.

Rathaus

Last edited:
These are what I call a pick-up truck glass, handy to ride on a seat and very good for a quick peek until the arms fatigue.

Sitting with your back against something solid with elbows resting on your knees, you can find enough steadiness for short time use.

John

John

Due to their size and reputation, Initially I jumped straight into using the big Zeiss on a tripod. What I didn't realise until I tried properly was how right you are about bracing elbows and using them freestyle. These bins pull in a whole other outer sphere of birds and objects which are normally not considered targets. The best bit is that they do all this with an almost absurdly relaxing ease and pleasure...something very rare in any bin let alone at 15x. There is something about this binocular and its view which targets the pleasure centres of the brain.

In some ways these Zeiss seem even better handheld (maybe easier to get cosy with it) - sitting on a bar height chair at a high table with elbows on the table for example. Elbows on a car roof, or car window sill. The views are all stunningly lush.

This bino is far more versatile than I imagined. I'd be happy to take it bush with no tripod.

I highly recommend this binocular to anybody interested.

Regards,

Rathaus

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back