• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focussing issues for Zeiss FL T*? (1 Viewer)

ABCY 1

Hi all. I’m looking for advice about the focus wheel on my partner’s FL T* 10x42s, which she uses in her fieldwork. The optics are excellent, and I use them as my benchmark for comparison with other binoculars, most recently the Theron Questa 10x42 in this forum.

The problem is the feel and precision of the focus wheel. It has always felt slightly ‘dry’ and hard to move smoothly, almost jerky at a micro scale. This makes it hard to achieve accurate focus quickly. Because the view is so good she has persisted in using them, but when I recently bought a pair of Conquest HD 8x32s the difference in focussing speed, accuracy and smoothness was very obvious.

So: is this a known issue, and have any other forum members experienced this focus wheel problem with the FL T*? If so, is there any kind of a fix, such as changing the lubricant? And (for the Aussies) any recommendations for services/repair work?

Grateful for any advice.

Hi all. I’m looking for advice about the focus wheel on my partner’s FL T* 10x42s, which she uses in her fieldwork. The optics are excellent, and I use them as my benchmark for comparison with other binoculars, most recently the Theron Questa 10x42 in this forum.

The problem is the feel and precision of the focus wheel. It has always felt slightly ‘dry’ and hard to move smoothly, almost jerky at a micro scale. This makes it hard to achieve accurate focus quickly. Because the view is so good she has persisted in using them, but when I recently bought a pair of Conquest HD 8x32s the difference in focussing speed, accuracy and smoothness was very obvious.

So: is this a known issue, and have any other forum members experienced this focus wheel problem with the FL T*? If so, is there any kind of a fix, such as changing the lubricant? And (for the Aussies) any recommendations for services/repair work?

Grateful for any advice.

Hi

I have both models and haven't had any issues like this with the FL at all. FL has been on the market for many years and doesn't have a reputation for this.

I agree with VB: it needs to go back to Zeiss for re-lubricating. Whatever you do don't start squirting it with penetrating oils like WD40 as this can cause all sorts of other problems (like creeping over the lenses and prisms).

Lee

Thanks VB and Troubador

Good to get a sense that this isn't a known issue with the FLs and should be fixable; we'll get on with organising a return to Zeiss which is no simple matter in Australia.

Enjoyed your post on the mighty midgets, Lee - it's partly responsible for my buying the Conquests, which I really enjoy.

cheers, Peter

Thanks VB and Troubador

Good to get a sense that this isn't a known issue with the FLs and should be fixable; we'll get on with organising a return to Zeiss which is no simple matter in Australia.

Enjoyed your post on the mighty midgets, Lee - it's partly responsible for my buying the Conquests, which I really enjoy.

cheers, Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for your kind words Peter. Conquest 8x32 is one of my absolute favourite bins even though its a bit heavier than some 32s. I was in France this year with 42s and 32s and I ended up using the Conquest almost exclusively because it was so effective in focusing from very near to very far.

I am sure Z can sort out your FL. I would imagine they will clean out the old grease and apply a measured amount of fresh.

Good luck.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back