• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A good starting scope for Digiscoping. (1 Viewer)

BackGardenMoths

Hi,
I'm have been very keen moth and butterfly recorder for the past 20 years. I also run a website www.back-garden-moths.co.uk which holds alot of macro photography images. I have recently become interested in the option of photographing birds but I know nothing about scopes. I have a Nikon Coolpix 5200 which I understand is a good camera for digiscoping. Could someone please advise on what a good starting scope would be. I don't really want to spend a lot of money on my first scope. I have seen some Opticron Piccolo 60mm scopes on the web for sale around the £100 mark. Are these a good possibility? I hope simon can help.

Thanks
Simon
Back Garden Moths

Or a 2nd hand opticron classic-IF. Not too expensive I just got one and pleased with it. Want to sset it for some digiscoping aswell.
Get the 75mm objective lens version it has better light gathering for the pictures. They can also be upgraded later optically by getting a specialized eyepeice (HDF one or a HR one or one of the digital photos lenses)

BackGardenMoths said:
Hi,
I'm have been very keen moth and butterfly recorder for the past 20 years. I also run a website www.back-garden-moths.co.uk which holds alot of macro photography images. I have recently become interested in the option of photographing birds but I know nothing about scopes. I have a Nikon Coolpix 5200 which I understand is a good camera for digiscoping. Could someone please advise on what a good starting scope would be. I don't really want to spend a lot of money on my first scope. I have seen some Opticron Piccolo 60mm scopes on the web for sale around the £100 mark. Are these a good possibility? I hope simon can help.

Thanks
Simon
Back Garden Moths

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back