• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor J3 M1 (1 Viewer)

rjb25073

Richard B - newbie birder
Hi,
driving into London at 7.30 ish this morning I saw a pair of large birds of prey. Given we only usually see Buzzard or red kite it was probbaly the former as it was about the tight size but I'm not convinced they dark grey in colour and seemed to have a long tail.

Could it have been anything else ?

any suggestions appreciated,
Richard

Honey Buzzard? (To me they look more grey overall compared to Common Buzzards, and they also have a longer tail.) Try an image search of Honey Buzzard and see if any photo resembles your sighting. :)

Last edited:
rjb25073 said:
Hi,
driving into London at 7.30 ish this morning I saw a pair of large birds of prey. Given we only usually see Buzzard or red kite it was probbaly the former as it was about the tight size but I'm not convinced they dark grey in colour and seemed to have a long tail.

Richard

Sounds quite good for HB. Goshawk does not seem to have a long tail - it is very obvious, likewise a harrier has clearly different proportions from a buzzard.

mrpjdavis said:
Sounds quite good for HB. Goshawk does not seem to have a long tail - it is very obvious, likewise a harrier has clearly different proportions from a buzzard.

thanks folks. I had a look in the gallery and see what you mean HB do look grey in some of the pictures. Sod's law I saw these whilst travelling at 80mph and will never know, it's my second unidentified local raptor in the last few weeks, that's life.

I'll keep an eye on the various local websites and see if anyone reports anything similar.

All the best and thanks again for taking the time to respond,
Richard

Andrew Rowlands said:
While you were driving at 80mph? How about a couple of Grey Herons!

Andy.

LOL, fortunately it was a quiet morning :)

on a serious note they were dark grey so not heron or pallid harrier grey, darker than that if it was a car it might be called 'graphite grey'.

I need to check my books when I get home. It does seem highly unlikely that it is a Honey Buzzard but so far it seems right description wise. Maybe it was two buzzards who just flew through a dusty pencil factory !

cheers,
Richard

ps wife was with me as well

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back