• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds Of Paradise The Ultimate Quest Friday 3rd February 9pm BBC2 (1 Viewer)

All the more interesting as the two men are Benedict Allen & Frank Gardner. Allen is always interesting whilst it will be a remarkable and challenging effort, given PNG's notorious terrain for Gardner, who is famously confined to a wheelchair following a terrorist attack in 2004. Evidently, when recuperating Gardner repeatedly wished he had tried to see birds of paradise earlier when he was able to do so. Inspiring that, despite the obstacles, he's managed to do so.

Thought this programme was just a ok programme not many birds of paradise at all until near the end all focused on mainly was the presenters in a tribe. Hope this weeks episode is abit better.

Thought this programme was just a ok programme not many birds of paradise at all until near the end all focused on mainly was the presenters in a tribe. Hope this weeks episode is abit better.

Agree,
excepting the last few minutes, the programme was dedicated to BA's torn emotions at returning and FG's mobility issues, disappointed.

I thought it an excellent programme. Reading the notes in the press it was clear that it was going to be about a lot more than just the birds. Personally, I found Benedict Allen's struggle with his feelings and the way in which he was welcomed by the tribe with whom he had lived both moving and interesting. Similarly, I thought the reflections on and insight into Frank Gardner's situation and how much seeing the birds meant to him made compelling viewing. I know that this is a bird forum but there really is more to life than just birds ....

Really enjoyed the show

We really enjoyed the show but couldn't understand why they didn't at least take him to Varieta NP where lekking Raggiana can be seen from edge of the road, surely a great way to finish the show and certainly our Life of Birds moment; or Kumul Lodge where 7 or 8 birds of Paradise can be seen without too much trouble and if they were going to rough it a bit then up river to camp at Kwatu can get you 12 wire from the camp and King nearby.

I've only just caught up with part two and was surprised to that the first thing he reached for when they found the King of Saxony was his camera not his bins.

To say that this was the fulfilling of a life time ambition, he then spent five minutes talking to the camera instead of looking at the bird?

A

Last edited:
I've only just caught up with part two and was surprised to that the first thing he reached for when they found the King of Saxony was his camera not his bins.

To say that this was the fulfilling of a life time ambition, he then spent five minutes talking to the camera instead of looking at the bird?

A

I know it be better if he got his binoculars out first he could have missed the bird it could have easily flew off whilst preparing getting the camera ready.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back