• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hurt Martin fledgling? (1 Viewer)

Sarainspirit

This fledgling has a strange grainy clump on the inside of its wing... I can't figure out if I should be concerned about it. It's been hopping around in our back yard for at least a few days now. I took a picture I can email, can't figure out how to post a picture on this thread(using an iPad)

Hi Sarainspririt,

Welcome to Bird Forum!
Martins should not be hopping around, they are made to fly. So if your fledgling can't fly, something is very wrong.
Are the parents feeding it? Because if they are, it is for the best and you can only hope it turns out well. Maybe the clump is some debris from the nest that will dry up and fall off.
If they are not, the bird will starve quickly. Martins eat softbodied flying insects and are not adapted to subsist on earthworms, caterpillars and fruit like a Robin. That of course also makes them hard to take care of. I'm not sure they could even eat mealworms, but hard boiled egg is no diet for any duration.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back