• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

Well I don't quite know how to catch up after a period of non-commenting from me. No real excuse so feel free to crack the punitive whip!

Finally the little owl is finished. I've loved the whole process this time and the next oil painting is in development already; all sketched out and awaiting transfer to the MDF. The large three person portrait is sketched onto the canvas and now all I have to do is be brave enough to make a start!

I actually managed a bit of sketching yesterday, but forgot to bring the pad to work for scanning. After a period of cruddy weather and virtually no birds I struggled a bit but it felt good to be getting something down at last.

Right, I'm off to marvel at all the great work that's popped up on here over the last two weeks...I may be some time!

Mike

Attachments

• iseeyew.jpg
    iseeyew.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 66
Thanks Nick. It seems to me to have some sense of solidity to it somehow that I don't think I've ever really achieved with acrylics. Perhaps it's just the depth in the colours, I don't know, but, whatever it is, I like it and I just hope the next one has something of the same.

Mike

Thanks Nick. It seems to me to have some sense of solidity to it somehow that I don't think I've ever really achieved with acrylics. Perhaps it's just the depth in the colours, I don't know, but, whatever it is, I like it and I just hope the next one has something of the same.

Mike

hey well done on that- there is extra richness and oomph in the oils- so the pic overall has an extra ring of confidence about it

:clap::clap::clap:
you really pulled it off, to be truthful I wasn't sure it would happen along the line, such a difficult comp and had a fine line to walk not to get chaotic and over busy. Masterful, and IMO one of your very best, agree you got to a new level here.

Superb finish, Mike! Great composition, difficult to pull off, but you did it extremely well. Wonderful piece.

Thanks chaps. The main thing for me with this one is that I enjoyed the whole process. (Except sawing the MDF!)

Mike

Great piece Mike - I've genuinely loved this one in each stage of the painting.
Thanks chaps. The main thing for me with this one is that I enjoyed the whole process. (Except sawing the MDF!)

Mike
You need to go on a sawing course - Mr Keeble runs one from Suffolk . . .

You are one of my favourite exponents of composition.

The LOwl is understated, yet astonishing in its prescence. And placement.

Simplistic, yet powerful. I love this painting!

Good to see you posting again Elina, I hope we get to see some more of your work soon. (I like the new look to the blog BTW.)

I've always struggled with composition Phil so that's great to hear, thanks mate!

Mike

Mike

Superb...Very nice painting of the owl Mike. I like this bird, sketches of the same bir are also welcome

There are loads of little owl sketches up thread, I have to put them in the sketchbook everytime I see them and, luckily, I see them quite a lot!

Mike

Mike

And I like it as well. As Ed says there's also a ring of confidence. I look forward to seeing some more of that in the new ones. It's always such a pleasure to see work that has such confidence.

[FONT=&quot]I’ve been lying low for a while but keeping an eye on all the many and varied threads still active here. There are so many and so much going on that it all gets a bit overwhelming! Anyhow, there’s some great stuff from all the regular crew and some new blood too. Since I’m having a ‘snow day’, ‘working from home’ I’ll try to find some time to catch-up properly today.

Mike
[/FONT]

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back