• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (3 Viewers)

Well I've not been up to much lately, what with bathrooms to be ripped out and garage roofs to be replaced, not to mention that little seasonal celebration we had recently.

With a bit of luck things will begin to settle down now for a while and normal service can be slowly resumed!

Got out to Elmley on Sunday in the first sunshine we've had this year. The tide was in and the fields and marshes were drenched with recent rain. This meant there were plenty of large flocks hanging about and that, in turn, meant that the predators were active. Spotted both peregrine and merlin on the way in plus plentiful marsh harriers. The birds of prey flying about lifted massive flocks of lapwing, curlew, starling, wigeon and teal and the sky filled with birds periodically. Strong wind and bright, clear sunshine lifted the soul and it finally felt like the year was beginning. Time was limited by the late start forced by the lack of light so the only sketching I got done was of a very beautiful, very well marked and darkish female barn owl. She was up and down one of the counterwall banks and stopped for a while on one of the posts that I think have been deliberately placed for the benefit of the owls and kestrels. I need to start re-stretching my sketching muscles but at least I got something down!

Mike

Attachments

• barnowl-sketches-16-01-11.jpg
    barnowl-sketches-16-01-11.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 79
These are great, Mike! I need to start getting out earlier and staying out later to increase my chances of seeing some owls to sketch...:-O.

Well I've not been up to much lately, what with bathrooms to be ripped out and garage roofs to be replaced, not to mention that little seasonal celebration we had recently.

With a bit of luck things will begin to settle down now for a while and normal service can be slowly resumed!

Got out to Elmley on Sunday in the first sunshine we've had this year. The tide was in and the fields and marshes were drenched with recent rain. This meant there were plenty of large flocks hanging about and that, in turn, meant that the predators were active. Spotted both peregrine and merlin on the way in plus plentiful marsh harriers. The birds of prey flying about lifted massive flocks of lapwing, curlew, starling, wigeon and teal and the sky filled with birds periodically. Strong wind and bright, clear sunshine lifted the soul and it finally felt like the year was beginning. Time was limited by the late start forced by the lack of light so the only sketching I got done was of a very beautiful, very well marked and darkish female barn owl. She was up and down one of the counterwall banks and stopped for a while on one of the posts that I think have been deliberately placed for the benefit of the owls and kestrels. I need to start re-stretching my sketching muscles but at least I got something down!

Mike

I knew we'd finally see some new work from you! A treat to see, esp. the birds in flight. Hope all the other work straightens itself out soon so we can see more work such as this.

Great to see you posting regularly again, Mike. Barn Owls are indeed wonderful creatures and your sketches here are befitting of such a magnificent bird. One which I've never had the oppo to do. It shall come; the Waxwings did, eventually.

Russ

How quickly you find yourself on page two these days!

Just to stay on the loop here's a couple of peregrine sketches and a quick page of lappys from the weekend. The weather hasn't been kind lately and the birding's been relatively poor but the good news is that the bathroom's nearly finished and the garage should return to normal this weekend.

I'm working on a new oil painting, learning as I go, but there won't be any work in progress pics just so I can avoid that little jinx they always seem to put on me!

Mike

Attachments

• pere-and-hare.jpg
    pere-and-hare.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 67
  • kwiklaps.jpg
    kwiklaps.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 49
Superb fieldwork. I wonder - did you see the peregrine and hare in the same field of view? The right hand bird positioned as it is behind the hare looks to be considering the mammal somewhat. It would make for a fascinating colour piece.

Superb fieldwork. I wonder - did you see the peregrine and hare in the same field of view? The right hand bird positioned as it is behind the hare looks to be considering the mammal somewhat. It would make for a fascinating colour piece.

No, sadly not at the same time.

A pair of grins were playing about in the strong winds, messing with a crow, and the female gave up the game for a few minutes and sat for me.

The merlin with the rabbits is still in the pipeline somewhere though and I make you right, birds with mammals and their interactions could be a good vein to mine.

Mike

They're beauties Mike and as always a pleasure to see. Obviously you haven't lost your touch during this season of repairs. Hopefully you'll be done just in time for spring. People are reporting the first singing birds here so it definitely is on its way.

They're beauties Mike and as always a pleasure to see. Obviously you haven't lost your touch during this season of repairs. Hopefully you'll be done just in time for spring. People are reporting the first singing birds here so it definitely is on its way.

We've got song thrushes, blackbirds and robins singing just before dawn now and there's a pair of great crested grebes dancing their courtship dance on the Serpentine in Hyde Park. The grey herons are busy building nests and the geese and ducks seem to be pairing up too. Good times!

Mike

Really nice, Mike! Some birds have been singing out here for two weeks now, and it is increasing each day. This has included Bewick's Wren, Song Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbirds, Anna's Hummingbird and House Finches.

Hi Mike, great work here, the right hand peregrine is so well drawn, there's a great sense of brooding power withing the drawing, that raised mantle over the birds crown gets the point across better than words ever could...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back