• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (3 Viewers)

Nice scowly kes.

Yeah, a bit overly so really, still it was just a sketch to fill some time.

Moving on...

My friend's birthday today so I can post this 10x8 now. It was done as a gift, (obviously) and it shows my friend Denise painting in a favourite spot by the fishing lake on the farm where we usually stay on holiday.

We're not going this year though; We're off to Singapore for three weeks so I ought to be able to fill a sketchbook with slightly more exotic stuff!

Mike

Attachments

• neesie-paintin.jpg
    neesie-paintin.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 65
The Kestrel is nicely done - and one of my favorite species! The landscape captures a nice sense of place and season.

That will invoke happy memories for her, everytime she glances up at it...well done mate, Im sure she'll love it...

Have to agree Mike. And I also have to admire your ability to use so much green in a painting, exactly the way many areas are for much of the year. This really has the sense of the green lushness of summer.

Well I've slipped onto page two again, I really need to be a bit more productive!

There's a large pheasant painting underway and a treble portrait keeps nudging me to be done but they're not ready to share yet.

Over the last few years I've done a lot of exploring with my painting; Swapping mediums, trying new supports, new techniques, subjects and styles and generally feeling my way a bit into new territory. I've lost count of the number of paintings I've started and later aborted recently!
I've looked at and admired the work of the whole range of artists here and been influenced by them to the point where I've wandered away from what I do and even tried to be something I'm not, in an artistic sense.

After exploring all these different avenues I find myself returning to my comfort zone and doing what I think I'm best at. I think I was beginning to lose sight of my own goals and a return to my roots was called for.

Anyway, over the weekend I worked on a simple 'bird on a stick' painting in acrylics, on illustration board. Work like this will never burst onto the wildlife art 'scene' in a blaze of glory, heralded by the trumpeting of critics and the clamouring of galleries, nor will it sell for absurd amounts of money and keep me in champagne and caviar for the rest of my days, but the making of it has made me happy, and that's really got to be the point hasn't it?

Sorry for the ramble, I'm feeling a little introspective today.

Mike

Attachments

• springtawny.jpg
    springtawny.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 75
Nothing wrong with a bit of introspection Mike.....and artistic avenues must be explored etc...

You are absolutely right when it comes to producing artwork of any kind...the 'happy factor' is of utmost importance. If what you do doesn't make you happy, at least to some degree, then whats the point....? [okay...i know that folk have got to make a living etc....trouble is...when it becomes a chore it can be a bore]...:smoke:

ps....great tawny owl....:t:

Well said Mike and I think it holds true for many of us. It's almost inevitable that we get influenced by things we admire and that works its way into our art, then one day we say 'wait a second. This doesn't look like my own anymore.' And we work our way back to what seems true to us and makes us happy.

Better to be happy with what you do than the darling of the art world and have no true connection to what you're doing.

And a beautiful painting as well. That's really a wonderful collection of branches that frame the owl. No 'bird on a stick' to me. Or at least the most highly embellished 'stick' I've ever seen.

Excellent piece, Mike! If this is a bird on a stick, much of my work is in the 'bird on a toothpick' category...! :-O The nice thing for me is that I'm new enough at the game that even a very simple composition is still challenging and great fun.

Spot on Mike - glorious celebration of a wonderful bird and, more importantly, entirely Woodcock in its conception, composition and handling. You're quite wrong on one count, though - put this in any gallery and it will simply walk off the wall; it's iconic and immensely desirable.

Seeing this, I'm reminded of when I showed my copy of Tim's book to a birding friend and art enthusiast. After discussion of the different artists and styles, her comment was - "I really like these Mike Woodcock paintings". Honour indeed, when you look at some of the other names in that book!

I for one like bird on a stick compositions Mike, when done well they sing. This is done very well indeed....it really is lovely. Would imagine this one will sell quicker than you may think;)

lovely owl Mike :clap:

and when you are a little introspective , that makes you more likeable

and who needs champagne and caviar :-O:-O

greetings Gaby

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back