• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

Thanks all.

I always think I'm going to end up with painted water like Chris Rose's but it always ends up more like Chris Eubank!
I'll get there one day.

Mike

Thanks all.

I always think I'm going to end up with painted water like Chris Rose's but it always ends up more like Chris Eubank!
I'll get there one day.

Mike

I thought what great water that is on the grebe pic- so much more favourable comparisons with C Rose than you allow

but also I noticed some simple looser white brush strokes in the shaded area under the grebes which added to the action and take us more than a bit beyond Rose-ness

I thought what great water that is on the grebe pic- so much more favourable comparisons with C Rose than you allow

but also I noticed some simple looser white brush strokes in the shaded area under the grebes which added to the action and take us more than a bit beyond Rose-ness

Very kind of you to say so Ed.

Talking of looseness, here's a quick sunrise over flooded fields painted in an hour or so whilst wife and daughter watched BGT. It amazes me, the colours that come with sunrise sometimes. It makes getting out of bed at silly o'clock seem worthwhile.

Mike

Attachments

• sunrise.jpg
    sunrise.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 67
Just gotta echo the others on the grebe piece Mike - a truly lovely painting. I keep putting off doing water.....but the kingfisher pic's reared its head again so might not be able to hold off much longer - hopefully it'll look like yours!!

I'd hoped to get out early and see something such as this, or at least more bird activity, on our recent vacation. But I can never convince my wife that we should get up earlier not later on vacation!

A great sense of the stillness of early morning in this Mike.

I, too, had a double take when I looked at this. This is top drawer work which has me looking forward to tackling this wonderful display sometime soon.
I love the yellow wag sketch - it's almost Busby-esque in it's simplicity.

Russ

sunrise is pretty amazing, enough to wake one up without coffee;)

a lighter line showing the plane of water dividing reflection and reeds, and subtly changing the value of the the reflections might help that one dark shape read better IMO

I had a day at Stodmarsh today, great weather, (although a bit windy), sun in a cloudless sky. I wanted to come home with a sketchbook stuffed with stuff, but that didn't happen. Highlight of the day for me were the hobbies, hawking insects high up. There were at least seven birds swerving around the sky at once, absolute joy to watch. Consequently they were the only sketching that got done.

I'm off to catch up with the other threads.

Mike

Attachments

• hobs027.jpg
    hobs027.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 85
I normally don't have time to catch 'em in flight, but today the sky seemed full of hobbies and they were all hawking over the same reedbeds.

Mike

indeed - and these are.

I'm pretty sure I've said I think you have a great way of capturing birds in flight before. If not I'll say it again!

Oddly I was rereading Bruce Pearson's 'An Artist on Migration' yesterday and I think he said that at the time there were only 300 breeding pair of hobbies in Britain. Does that sound right? Hobbies seem to be the favorites of a number of people and I wondered if their scarcity adds to that, assuming of course that I didn't just misread that section!

The Hobby sketches are brilliant, Mark! Very full of life and movement, and nicely representative of the little falcon's flight profile. Well done!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back