• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white spots on prism (1 Viewer)

This is (as far as I know) a strictly British usage.

We, in the Former North American Colonies, do not ever use that word in that way.

I rather like it, but it will get you funny looks here.

I get funny looks everywhere pal :eek!:.

Hows this for a nice put-down: 'you are a right fruit-cake'. Others of a similar hard to understand nature if you are not native to these shores are 'soft as a brush' meaning the same as 'right fruit cake' and meant to express someone is a bit silly without being really insulting.

But using words in different ways than the traditional is surely not confined to the UK. Didn't the use of the word 'hot' to mean fashionable, and not having a high temperature, come from the States, and didn't the next generation rebel against this by using the word 'cool' to mean the same thing? Over here, at one point, 'wicked' meant 'good' and indeed for a time 'bad' meant 'good' too.

However this all might qualify as hijacking a thread so I will 'pipe down' and 'shut my cake-hole'.

Lee

However this all might qualify as hijacking a thread so I will 'pipe down' and 'shut my cake-hole'.

The OP is ok with a bit of OT in his thread... He is too busy figuring out what the hokey cokey is all about :-O

sorry you got a lemon - I have one as a second pair and for the 250€ I paid for a demo unit it's quite good.
The caps are indeed not great but they get less tight with time... if I was using this daily (which I would certainly consider on a budget), I'd probably try to find a 3rd party rainguard.

Joachim

Hi Joachim,
I paid a little bit more than you, but I think I'll return it. A third party rainguard would certainly improve handling, but then I would still have to find a way for dealing with those oval/pointy objective lens caps. I don't see how I can solve that without cutting away parts of the rubber armoring from the binocular...

Synaps, post 22,
For the price range you indicate for the Eschenbach and the problems you are faced with you probably could have a much better deal with the Bynolyt Voyager 8x42. I just finished investigating it and it was surprisingly good and it did beat 8x42 Hawke and Bushnell binoculars which were even more expensive. Since you are from the Netherlands you also would have the advantage that you can rely on the service of Technolyt, the dealer of Bynolyt in The Netherlands and you can ceck them before buying them by going to a shop which carries them (House of Outdoor in Maarsen is one of them but there are more).
Gijs van Ginkel

I paid a little bit more than you, but I think I'll return it. A third party rainguard would certainly improve handling, but then I would still have to find a way for dealing with those oval/pointy objective lens caps. I don't see how I can solve that without cutting away parts of the rubber armoring from the binocular...

Hi,

yes, by all means return that unit - even if it's on sale, obvious defects should be clearly communicated! You should really try the options from Gijs... he has tested a few bins ;-)

Regarding the objective covers - I only put them on for long term storage, so a little fiddling is ok...

Joachim

I was able to try a Bynolyt Tern 8x32 today and I must say that I was impressed.
Ok, it was not as bright and contrasty as the Eschenbach with it's 42mm objectives and dielectric prism coatings, but the BT image was still pretty clear, it handles glare very well, better than the EB, has a large depth of field and not much blurring at the edges. The lack of dof and blurring at the edges really bothered me in the other (budget/mid range) 8x32 I tried. On the down side, fov is a bit narrow and that may explain why it handles glare so well. I noticed it being made in Japan. It is an older model, I think, as it is being offered on sale or sold out at many sites. I hope to try it a little more if the sun comes out.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back