• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

General Question (1 Viewer)

zawaprz

Hello!

I'm new to this forum. I would like to ask you guys some honest oppinions. I'm researching binoculars.. and found one on e--bay... but am having a lot's of doubt.. I'm not looking to spend over 2K dollars.. yet found ones for slightly over 100... and yet.. according to specificaltions it say: 20-280x70mm... so variable zooom with huge 700mm... weighting 5lb.. military... but am asking myself (wth tripod).. what is the catch??????? too good to me to be true deal.. does anybody get them yet from there? are this so up side down idea? is this plastic huge toy? with horrible quality?

Any oppinions would be nice.. I'm reasoning that i'd rather double price then getting for 40 dollars from wlmart 16x32 bsnell....

Please let me know, and I thank you very much in advacne - here to my pzawadzki'at'hotmail.com
email.

Don't waste your money on a 20-280X70 travesty!

Even at the lowest power, 20x, you will need a tripod to hold the glass steady and your field of view will be minute (think of looking at things through a magnifying straw).
At the higher powers, the image will be dark and fuzzy, because the lenses are too small to collect the light needed to support a 280x magnification.
Just stepping back, to my knowledge there is no military glass that has ever been deployed with the above specifications, so someone is selling a bill of goods, rather than the real thing. Also, it's worth noting military binocs are almost always individual focus,
each eye has to be focused separately. That makes it a bother to use for any routine observation, where it is important to get to the right focus easily and quickly.

Spend your money on something that will give you satisfactory service. This one cannot. For a useful guide on the topic, see: http://betterviewdesired.com/The-Ideal-Birding-Binocular.php

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back