• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring is in the air (1 Viewer)

new 2 this

Looking at the birds in my garden today I could see lots of playful stuff going on, I'm no expert but it looked like courting behaviour to me. Lots of birds pairing off too. :D

It smelled spring fresh today too and I figure it won't be long until the chicks arive, our friendly robin has found a mate this year, last year he remained a constant visitor and bachelor, so hopefully we'll get more robins, according to an old book I have they will lay their eggs this month all the way through to July...5-8 too, fingers crossed the cats stay away, not seen any in our patch the last few days but saw some lurking in our neighbours garden amongst the bushes.....grrrr! :cat:

The Starlings don't start til June but they seem to be partnering up....could we be heading for an early spring...the birds would know this, yes? Crow in March, doesn't seem to be behaving differently yet. Lastly the Magpie is getting very noisy am, why? It isn't supposed to mate until April, do you suppose he is looking for a mate or is it a spring call. Suddenly lots of House sparrows about, again my book says February. They were all paired up so it looks like it's going to get steadily busier here soon. :cool:

Anyone else got any signs of spring? I noticed at our local garden centre on Monday that all the daffs were ready to bloom and all the spring plants are there, looked all stocked up for a Monday. :D

The wildbird food area looked very riffled, all the birdfeeders were reduced too so anyone wanting a bargain might get lucky, though I spotted some defects so beware. I resisted temptation and stuck to my list...plantfood, pots, soil and geraniums. I need a new tree, anyone know of a stockist online who sells plum and apple trees? The birds will love them...they are mad for our 3 small cherry trees! :bounce:

We had Coal Tits checking out the 'roosting pockets' yesterday and Blue Tits in both nest boxes thoughout the day. It's mild at the moment but still a bit early by about six weeks for us before the nest building usually starts.

Had a brilliant day on the bird front today, saw a Grey wagtail, it is the same small bird I had spotted before but couldn't identify, it moved too quickly last time. They are supposed to like water and there is a pond nearby so there may be more :)

Bins working better today, I cleaned them...don't know why I didn't think of this before ;-)

Glad everyone else is enjoying the spring goings on, it is my favorite time of the year too, so nice to know we are moving away from winter dullness. :)

Got to dash, internet access hours almost gone.

Flung open my door today, to be greeted by Skylark song from the field over the road - spring is sprung, all right !

Tony

if your roosting pockets are that brush material then keep a look out for squirrels and make sure they cant get to it....they like to destroy the pocket.and the worst bit eat the babies and eggs inside. any americans want their squirrels back id be happy to export them to you!

I'm starting to get fed up now with all this talk of Spring "up North". Down here in France we are still in the grips of Winter. Below zero again this morning and snow forecast for this afternoon. Only signs of Spring have been Great Tits checking out sites in the yard. Oh, yesterday two male Blackbirds squabbling over a female. Looks like Spring is gonna be late here this year.

Bright sunshine here after two dismal days. Also had some new guests in the garden, long tailed tits.

It just gets better and better.

:t:

I'm sorry Paul 42, but I feel better somehow, after reading your post. We have had a real Pennsylvania,USA winter,but no temps were below zero so far. Today it started out 6 Degrees above Zero, and is steadily rising. I watch the Birds in the drive for signs of spring,but so far they are still in their winter mode.

"Pauxatauny Phil" says 6 more weeks of winter,but I am not going to pay any attention to any ole "Groundhog" for weather predictions;)

Despite having one of the snowiest and coldest winters in the northeast USA I can remember, we are seeing a few signs of Spring 2003.

Longer daylight hours
My cat has started shedding
American Goldfinches are showing a few areas of brighter yellow feathers
Red-tailed Hawks are displaying courtship behavior
I am hearing Owls hoot-hoot-hooting for mates

BirdWatcher

It shouldn't be long until spring here in south-central Texas. My goldfinches are also getting their bright yellow and black colors. They look pretty funny right now with just patches of bright color here and there. Only about 4 more weeks until my hummers arrive for the summer! I usually get them on March 15th or 16th.

The mockingbird is singing later and later each evening. As you stated the goldies are showing deeper coloration and we know that means they will soon be leaving the area.
The plants are all sporting new leaves so hopefully they will not be burned with a light freeze before spring is truly here. Of course in Houston winter is more like spring than winter to the rest of you.

Yep the spadgers are definately getting frisky, one very cocky male was outrageously flirting with a couple of hens on my shed roof this afternoon.

;)

Robins are displaying here and flickers are drumming... ducks are in full breeding plummage and the smaller birds are really gearing up as well .. we expect that the meadowlarks will be here in about ten days and maybe sooner. The Mountain Bluebirds are back and the hummingbirds are three weeks away!!!
Bulbs are up and crocuses are blooming and I am in Canada!
Spring is definitely in the air...

GAYE!!!! Hummers! Three weeks away! OH!OH!OH! I can't stand it! Wait for me,I will be there soon as I can!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

We had minus 5 last night and the ground and trees are very frosty but the courting and preparations for spring are still in full swing in my garden.

I saw a couple of sparrows pulling with their beaks at some pampus grass in my neighbours garden this morning. I am looking around the house for ideas of things that I could leave out in the garden to help them with their nests, I need to brush the dogs hair, so I'll put that out, anyone got any iother deas?

It is warming up now (12:14pm) and things are thawing out at last, but in the shade the weatherman says it won't thaw, so a cold day nevertheless.

The starlings are out in my next door neighbours garden preening and sunbathing in the sunnyiest part of the garden, the lovely sunshine must be a welcome sight for them after last nights cold, they take it all in their stride.

Well I decided if everybody else in the Northern Hemisphere is in Spring we should be too. Went out this morning, result- even colder than yesterday! Even Canada's looking at the tail-end of winter-not France. When I ring my family in England they think I'm in the deck-chair with me shorts on. I wish!! I blame global warning (or the government!! Still I met one of my mates from the council gardeners this morning who reckons we've only got about six weeks of winter left Didn't half cheer me up (not)!!!!

We had the mildest day yet for 2003 in the garden today. The birds were busy eating bugs am and only came for some food in the afternoon.

Lots of nest preparations going on, neighbourhood cats are loosing their winter fur everywhere which is a welcome thing for the birds. (At least they have some use, now if only they would only sleep all day like they should!!!, I keep shoing them away).

I noticed lots of buds on one of the trees in our neighbours garden, Lilac, it won't flower until May but it is always the first tree to get buds.

Lots of happy bird song around today too, the birds seem to be taking it in turn at my kitchen window to sing sweetly, first I had the robin then the sparrow, then the starling, felt very special.

Ripe fruit is very popular in the garden too, their was a que for it :)

The thought of lilac buds just makes me green with envy!

Aside from the longer daylight (had to discern through the falling and blowing snow of the last couple of days), I am hearing robins and cardinals beginning to sing. And this morning, in spite of 19F temps, I even heard cardinals singing before daylight!!

In the summer, the cardinals around here will begin singing as early at 4:15 a.m. on some mornings!

My goldies aren't turning yet, and anything with new growth is covered with snow. But it's basketball sectional time in Indiana, and only 3 weeks to NCAA Selection Sunday -- so spring can't be far away!!

Awww Beverlybaynes as much as I like Spring, I would love a bit more snow so my kids could make snowmen, and snow angels, go toboganing etc mind, the poor birds wouldn't like it....I bet your neighbourhood birds are very hungry at the moment, mine are dining on bugs, slugs and such, as well as my offerings, we even had a bumble bee fly into the house yesterday....I got it out alive and thought 'yup, spring is here'.

Indiana gets hot summers doesn't it? Ours are like American's spring unless we get a heat wave.

Ok, ok, that's enough, you've made me totally jealous. LOL We are still in the grips of winter. Two weeks ago we had our 500km sled dog races where we volunteer to be time keepers. It was -30C that night and we had to stay out until the last team came in at 02:28 in the morning! Needless to say we had two big fires going and ran the Land Cruiser every couple hours. This weekend it is the big Saskaloppet Cross Country Ski Race. We get 700 skiers in town skiing from 13km to 90km, with all sorts of distances in between. There is an overnight race too where they have to camp out overnight and the temps are predicted into the
-24C range. We won't be volunteering for a check point this year cause we are babysitting our 4 year old granddaughter. We'll be relegated to broomball, snowshoeing, kick sledding and long afternoon naps. Yeah, right, she who must be obeyed at the age of 4 years is a going concern, wish I had half her energy.
Hmmm, gone way off track here, signs of spring, longer daylight hours and yes the birds are courting, especially the Ravens.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back