• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (28 Viewers)

no further sightings of the chiff, but suppose only me looking. The bird made no calls whatsoever,,,and having read up,call is needed to make any serious claim!
Thanks for input of all, learning all the time!!

Paul

There is an interesting slant on chiffchaffs on Andrew Harrop's blog, rutlandbutterflies - written from a Rutland perspective but relevant just as much to Yorkshire. And he is the secretary of the BOURC of course.

What he effectively says is if it does not look like a collybita then it most likely will be tristis and the call does not matter. Abietinus and collybita are very similar even in the hand.

Steve

There is an interesting slant on chiffchaffs on Andrew Harrop's blog, rutlandbutterflies - written from a Rutland perspective but relevant just as much to Yorkshire. And he is the secretary of the BOURC of course.

What he effectively says is if it does not look like a collybita then it most likely will be tristis and the call does not matter. Abietinus and collybita are very similar even in the hand.

Steve

Hi Steve. I think on this Andrew may be making a generalization that is, as yet, not fully justifiable as the Dutch study used a (out-dated) criteria for selecting 'non collybita' rather then random sampling. I'm yet to be fully convinced that call does not have some diagnostic power nor that there is a straightforward cut off between albietinus and tristis without any hybridization (work is ongoing and yet to be published as far as I understand it). I also think that (at least theoretically) some non-standard looking birds may be attributable to pigment abnormalities (either inherited or dietary related).

Last edited:
Ivory Gull

Got down to Patrington Haven today. Very nice, close flight views mid-afternoon. Quite glad it didn't come down to the fish as the pictures doing the rounds make it look like a manky, albino pigeon ;)

Got down to Patrington Haven today. Very nice, close flight views mid-afternoon. Quite glad it didn't come down to the fish as the pictures doing the rounds make it look like a manky, albino pigeon ;)

So far so good, going early tomorrow, where do I park/walk to find where it's feeding?

So far so good, going early tomorrow, where do I park/walk to find where it's feeding?

Parking on the road to the farm, several places here if you are early enough. Otherwise park hard into the verge on the approach. Follow the track SE to the pumping station here.

If it's not feeding there it may be viewable on the rocks at the edge of the saltmarsh.

Good luck Rob

Got there very early, the parking area was already full but not many on the verge. The bird was already at the fish when I arrived and stayed there as the light improved before flying out to the estuary. By the time I'd returned to the car, there were loads parked on the verge, most parked sensibly, one or two clearly don't understand the concept.

Went to see the green-winged teal at north cave afterwards. My first in the UK but pretty uninspiring after the gull!

Ldv

Might not be rare or scarce to most but this is the first Kestrel i have had on my patch for at least six months!

Friendly Robin was a seasonal pleasure, upto 30 Whoopers and rising water levels.:t:

more here http://zingsldv.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• k1a.jpg
    k1a.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 44
  • r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    836.2 KB · Views: 41

Users who are viewing this thread

Back