• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

laptop advise please (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hi,
we are looking at getting a new laptop for my wife. Most of what she does on it is pretty simple, but then there is some photo processing where she is a bit picky. She currently has a several years old Acer with a "crystalBrite" display and want something as close as possible on the screen side.

I have looked at an Acer 17 inch at Amazon -- any reason we should not order one? It is difficult because we live where we cannot really visit a live shop and look at the offers.

thanks
Niels

Spec looks pretty good, a faster hard drive would help but it's not slow by any means. Plenty of RAM. I had an Acer netbook and had no problems with the product but their UK customer support was poor.

Thank you Alex

Niels

Around the same price range I would go for the cheapest MacBook Pro, if it is strictly for photo-related activities. They're extremely reliable, but pricey computers. I'm personally looking to get one after using mostly Windows my entire life. There's pros and cons to both sides.

If your looking for a Windows based laptop I would recommend purchasing it from costco.com, if you can internationally due to their warranty. (It's unbeatable).

Another suggestion is to get a desktop. You get a faster and more powerful computer for less money, but you lose the portability. Additionally you can more easily upgrade a desktop than a laptop.

Hope that helps!

Thank you, but a little too late. I have already ordered the above mentioned laptop. Mac's to my mind are overhyped -- but maybe they really have improved in the 15 years since I had extensive experience with them. At that point in time my experience was that the windows computer I personally owned was more reliable than the mac's that was in my workplace, even though the mantra of the reliable mac was already repeated over and over at that time.

I have no experience with Costco, but will try to remember that.

Niels

Thank you, but a little too late. I have already ordered the above mentioned laptop. Mac's to my mind are overhyped -- but maybe they really have improved in the 15 years since I had extensive experience with them. At that point in time my experience was that the windows computer I personally owned was more reliable than the mac's that was in my workplace, even though the mantra of the reliable mac was already repeated over and over at that time.

I have no experience with Costco, but will try to remember that.

Niels

Sorry I could not get to you on time.
:-C

Bird_Enthusiast, you tried, that is all I could ask.

We have just received the laptop and it looks good so far.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back