• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

website expert? (1 Viewer)

kim

I am having some problems with my website and would appreciate some assistance and wonder if there is anyone in the Chester area that could give me some technical help. I am happy to pay for this of course.:t:At the moment I am using dreamweaver, but would also consider setting up a new site. Thanks in advance!!

What problems are you experiencing Kim? I've looked at your website and it all seems to be functioning, great pictures bye the way. Is your query with Dreamweaver or the running of your site?

Hi, thanks for the response, I seem to have had trouble since I changed from XP to windows 7. I don't know quite what is going wrong, I used to save all my stuff in one particular file and for some reason there appears to be two files now!! I came to add a page and it would not link up so I had to give it up and add to an existing page. I get all sorts of odd messages about being on the wrong path!! So you see I could really do with some good general help. I did manage - after a week to overcome one problem - but not being a natural on this sort of thing, I find it very difficult.

When you create a new site in Dreamweaver a folder for thats site pages is created, I'm assuming this is what you mean by the two files that you now have. This folder acts as the root of your site all paths and links on pages need this in order to work, this is your absolute path your index page (Home page) will be stored in this folder, its acting as your http root so that when your files are uploaded to the web it all still works and when you preview pages in Dreamweaver all your links work. What version of Dreamweaver are you using? Is it compatable with Windows 7. Where are the folders you refer to
I used to save all my stuff in one particular file and for some reason there appears to be two files now!!
. This should not be to difficult to sort out?

Hi, I use an old version which is MV 2004, I think the problem is, that I have managed by following the instructions I was given by a friend, when it was first installed, but when anything goes wrong, I haven't a clue. I find the dreamweaver help rather too technical.

Did you understand what was saying above about the folder your site is stored in? Are the two folders, you refer to them as files in your first reply, in the same folder. If so this is your Sites folder.

What we have to determine is which one of these two folders holds a copy of your complete web site, neither may we don't know that yet but the most complete folder is the one we will leave where it is the other we will move to the Desktop as it may contain work in progress? Are you following this? You could also give me some idea of your sites directory structure it will make the process a bit easier.

Well my main site folder is called Kim's site. In this folder are other sub folders which relate to the different pages on my website. For example, garden bird, further afield, France. I have been uploading pictures I have just taken of black grouse to the further afield section. I save for web to Kimsite - then further afield. When I then try to upload it onto the page I get a message saying it is out of the root folder, would I like to copy it now. I click yes - and everything seems to be OK. But this is a new thing, it's only started happening since I changed to windows 7.

Many thanks by the way for your interest .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back