• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Outlook Express and Ipod query (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

I use outlook express to receive my emails via a pop3 account. I have just received an Ipod Touch and was interested in using it to receive and send emails.

1. I have managed to receive ana email on my ipod but it didnt appear on my computer. So am I right in saying that with a pop3 you can only download emails once, ie if I successfully download it using my ipod I cant then subsequently download onto my computer?

Although my ipod mail icon shows an new emal received when I click on the mail icon it takes me to a page entitled new account, rather than an inbox, and thus I cant read it anyway!

Can anyone answer the first question and /or solve the second?

Yours Hopefully
BB

The default setting for pop3 is to delete the message from the server when downloaded but you can set it otherwise. In Outlook Express, go to Tools > Accounts, Pick the account then click Properties pick the Advanced tab and set the option there. But be aware that the server will have a limit and you will need to go in via webmail and delete the messages if you can. Else set the options in Outlook Express as above.

Can't help you with IPod issuses, but most of these devices work best with imap rather than pop3. Most email service will support imap and Outlook Express does.

Mono

Many thanks. :t:

I changed the setting to leave a copy on server and delete after 5 days and low and behold the emails appeared on my ipod and in the pc.

However I tried to reply to one, and it didnt work. The message came up "Cannot verify server identity". This semeed strange if it identifed the server to receive email?

Any further thoughts?

Thanks
BB

In Outlook Express go Tools > Accounts > Properties again and look at the Servers tab. If the Outgoing Mail Server "Requires Authentication", then have a look at the settings and make sure they are the same on your iPod, if it doesn't need authentication then make sure that option is ticked on the iPod

Mono Thanks again. The ipod is no longer showing the message "Requires Authentication" . It is now showing the message as sent in the sent box but they are not arriving anywhere? I even tried sending myself a message but that didnt arrive either

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back