• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kestrel! (1 Viewer)

David in NC

As some of you know I am a lieutenant for the local sheriff's office and a firearms instructor. We were on our range today and during a short break I and three other instructors were still "downrange" near the targets and I noticed a dove-sized bird drop off the hill behind our range and fly almost over our target backstops. I noticed it's flight pattern and a long tail as it went by.

American Kestrel! Although we are in their "year round range" I have NEVER seen one before here. The only ones I've seen (and known I was looking at an American Kestrel) were about an hour or more from here on some State Game Lands where they have a pretty active nestbox program for them.

I called it but my buddy (not a birder but lifelong hunter and outdoorsman) also confirmed it when it entered the trees on the other side and we heard the call.

So how cool is it that in the last couple months I've found Ospreys and Kestrels here that I've never seen before (yeah I know one school of thought might say that I just wasn't looking before but at this point I don't care!)

As some of you know I am a lieutenant for the local sheriff's office and a firearms instructor. We were on our range today and during a short break I and three other instructors were still "downrange" near the targets and I noticed a dove-sized bird drop off the hill behind our range and fly almost over our target backstops. I noticed it's flight pattern and a long tail as it went by.

American Kestrel! Although we are in their "year round range" I have NEVER seen one before here. The only ones I've seen (and known I was looking at an American Kestrel) were about an hour or more from here on some State Game Lands where they have a pretty active nestbox program for them.

I called it but my buddy (not a birder but lifelong hunter and outdoorsman) also confirmed it when it entered the trees on the other side and we heard the call.

So how cool is it that in the last couple months I've found Ospreys and Kestrels here that I've never seen before (yeah I know one school of thought might say that I just wasn't looking before but at this point I don't care!)

I can tell how excited you was from what you typed, David... two good birds too

Hello David,

I was just as excited when I saw my first certain American kestrel, looking down the street from a perch on a terrace. It is a fine bird to add to your list or just to experience,

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back