• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Drumming Snipe (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Near the top nineteen Golden Plover stride through the low wheat as Brown Hares dust bathe and sun themselves. Lapwings display and squabble and sit on eggs in little hollows and chase the Crows that get too close.

The head of a Little Owl shows above the wall - stone coloured against the stone. Pied Wagtails are building - stuffing crevices with straw and sheep's wool. Twittering Linnets watch. The sun climbs into a powder blue sky. Somewhere in the vastness the distant song of a Skylark falls like ash from the sun.

Curlews rise in song - a sound that bubbles over the moors like the ripple of the heat haze beginning. A Snipe towers on flickering wings - scissors knifing the blue - then he descends in a quickening arc and batters the air with the thrum of his tail's song.

Up again, following the rapier of his long bill, curving above the Mountain Hare galloping in the heather. He zigzags towards the ground and the drumming oscillation hums again and again. He curves around the hilltop and drops past the Swallows' swoop into the valley.

And in the valley a Kestrel, on in-drawn wings, takes a vole downslope to his mate in the trees by the stream. She keens to him, accepts his gift and they mate, still calling.

Above the chapel a Little Owl is perched against the horizon - a weathercock silhouette stamped against the sky. Suddenly it sallies down to the field and struggles briefly with its prey. Somewhere across this little vale a Green Woodpecker yaffles.

In the ash by the river two more Little Owls perch - partridge plump and grey as their tree. A Magpie bothers a Brown Hare stretched out in the meadow, long ears flat against its back.

The circle of the Sparrowhawk rises by the ridge and sends a pair of Tree Sparrows to cover by the pond, but the Moorhen struts in the open unconcerned.

The morning only half done and the butterflies begin to skim and skip on the lush and rounded sound of the Willow Warblers' vowels. The sun shines on.

Beautifully described, as usual H2 and another lovely tale. The sounds of early summer indeed.

I struggle to find Snipe on our moors, and have only once heard one drumming and that was in the north of Scotland a few years ago.

Really jealous of your green woodies and Little Owl (that's one I've never yet seen!) We do get Oystercatchers breeding on our moors in places - do you not get them there?

Heard my first WWs yesterday on a short river walk.

Hi Delia, and thanks.

If you're ever down this way I can guarantee you Little Owls any day of the year - half a dozen pairs in this little valley. Green Woodpeckers are elusive though.

Yes, there are a couple of pairs of Oystercatchers by the reservoirs - but Lapwings and Curlews are common.

H

Ha ha!! You don't know what you've said there H2. I'm off to Norfolk shortly, if I don't find one there, I may detour on the way home!!;)

Will never forget a few years ago; I'd left home very early and called in at Wharton Crags for lunch. Watched the Peregrines and Jackdaws for a while... all the time hoping the Little Owl would emerge from his hole in the rocks. Eventually I got back in the car ate my lunch then had a wee snooze before continuing my journey to south Wales. When I woke up someone said the owl had come out and sat on a fence post for a while, before disappearing. One day!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back