• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Grey on grey: pearl on slate, smoke and charcoal; torn on the wind, blowing, ragged over the ridge. A water colour sun slipping under frothy waves, dowsing itself in foam: extinguished.
And above the defiance of the just-leaved trees shifting in the tide of wind, a single Swift slices straight and true, lately in from Africa, picking plankton from the ebbing day. Behind and beneath by the kelp of the beeches the Martins twist and jink, white rumps like fish eyes in the shadow.
The Swift the shark, the barracuda, circling darkly beneath the rolling breakers, lifting on the rising rush; the Martins the shoal of smaller fry bunching and rolling with the current, above the reef of the trees.
On the horizon a cold sun sets and the dark greys darken; the Swift swims on towards the night.

Last edited:
It's great to know the Swifts are now back too, isn't it. My sister caught a brief glimpse of one this morning but it was away behind the trees before I could even look up!!

Another lovely description of your day H2.

I've seen Hobby this week, but Little Owl still eludes me;)

That is one of your best ever, H. pearl on slate, smoke and charcoal ... On the horizon a cold sun sets and the dark greys darken; the Swifts swims on towards the night. - just wonderful.

Thank you all - I just wrote it off the cuff while watching out of the window. Glad to know it struck a chord.

Edit: I just edited the mistake!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back