• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problem with my Canon 500D (1 Viewer)

nellieberta

Hello & help!

I have a Canon 500D and have used it today with the 100-400mm lens. This afternoon I had a error message 20 & 30. I switched off and on and removed the battery for a bit. This cleared the error message but I now have some awful black mark in front of any photo I take (attached also). I have opened the sensor to find these two things in front, one covers the right half of the sensor and the other is only showing by about 5mm. I have no idea what they are. Can anyone help?
This camera was a replacement for my 400D in June this year so it is still under guarantee with Jessops but I don't know what has happened to it. Since the accident with the 400D I have been incredibly careful with the 500D so it hasn't been knocked or anything.

:-C:-C

Last edited:
It's under warranty so get straight down to Jessops. Looks like from the photos something is stuck and clearing out of the way. Don't mess with it just straight to Jessops.

Robert

Hiya

Thanks, that was my asssumption but I have no idea whatsoever what it could be and wondered if anyone had ever seen this before. I'm off to Jessops in my lunch tomorrow!

Thanks!

This is what happens when you clash your camera about in anger, when the kingfisher fails to turn up;);).

Don't waste time Joanne, get It back to Jessops or Canon for repair.

This is what happens when you clash your camera about in anger, when the kingfisher fails to turn up;);).

Don't waste time Joanne, get It back to Jessops or Canon for repair.

Hey, I've had some good Kingfisher shot of late!!

I took it in today and they are sending it off on Monday to Canon but I'm not sure about this repair malarky - I've been told that the shutter has collapsed - so I'm hoping it hasn't damaged the sensor. I'd rather it was replaced.

Hey, I've had some good Kingfisher shot of late!!

I took it in today and they are sending it off on Monday to Canon but I'm not sure about this repair malarky - I've been told that the shutter has collapsed - so I'm hoping it hasn't damaged the sensor. I'd rather it was replaced.

I'm sure that they will check everything is working O.K. after the repair, and also service the camera and ensure the sensor is clean etc.
You should get a full report with your camera when returned.
Do you know where they are sending It?.
If you find out, you might be able to get a tracking reference to check the progress online.
The last time I sent my 40D for repair, they cleaned and checked everthing prior to returning It.

Don't worry, they will be sick of my voice by the time it's sorted! I intend to start ringing about Tuesday/Wednesday when they should have received it!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back