• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Got my new lens today ... (1 Viewer)

Pigeon_Pete

I got my Canon 100mm 400mm lens today, to match my Canon 50D

It was cold and dull and I had a go in the potting shed with the door open at some blue tits etc on the feeders some 3 metres away

I set it to auto sports mode, as the flash kept popping up and scaring the birds!

I managed a lot of shots, mostly rubbish :-O

I had the lens zoomed out at about 380mm, and was wondering would it be better to have it at 200-300 mm and adjust the image in Corel Paint Pro X2 ? It was very dull so I didnt manage to experiment much.....I am a total novice o:)

Here is a pic of a bluetit and a Chaffinch which I tweaked with "one stop photo fix" , both were "L" jpegs

Attachments

• Blue tit.jpg
    Blue tit.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Chaffinch.jpg
    Chaffinch.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Blue tit  cropped.jpg
    Blue tit cropped.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Chaffinch cropped.jpg
    Chaffinch cropped.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Thanks mate. I realise they are not exactly up to the standard on here, but its going to be a very steep learning curve !!

And the lens is HEAVY :eek!:

ps

How do you get the image information to show up automatically on photos which are posted ( all the stuff about camera settings when the photo was taken)

Last edited:
I would advise you get a furry cuddly toy, one with a bit of white in it, black and some mid tones and practice putting it in different backgrounds and distances using AV settings so that you can practice exposure and Fstops (the latter for depth of field). You should also make it a priority to know how the histogram works. Just my advice but in my view makes the curve easier and quicker to manage.

good luck

If i were you id drop my shutter speed a little , its slightly under exposed , and with is you should be fine , or you could just tweak it in processing.

Hi pete,

Im in the same position as yourself, ive just bought a Sigma 70-300mm dg macro something something to put on my canon 40d. Im also a complete novice but enjoy wildlife photography as im doing a degree in animal studies and zoology.

good luck with the pics

Dave

Hi pete,

Im in the same position as yourself, ive just bought a Sigma 70-300mm dg macro something something to put on my canon 40d. Im also a complete novice but enjoy wildlife photography as im doing a degree in animal studies and zoology.

good luck with the pics

Dave

I will try to post some of my trial pics mate so we can compare

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back