• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Exposure compensation dial (1 Viewer)

666taz

Phill Wain
England
Hi my exposure compensation dial has stopped working for exposure compensation but works for everthing else ,i do have the on button set to the very top so it should work and always has before just wondered if anyone could give a clue to what could be wrong or is it on its way out cheers for any help thanks Phill.

If the dial works for everything else, maybe it is the power switch that is not working properly, and not going all the way to the "really on" mark, or not working properly when it gets there.

Actually, are you in a basic mode or a creative mode? I'm not sure whether you can even dial in EC in the basic zones, especially green box. Since I never use those modes I''m not sure, but it's a thought. Make sure you are in P or A or T or M mode, just in case.

Sorry i should have said i use mainly Tv Av mode i have changed batteries reset to default settings this is on my 20D i have a 30D as well and have checked them against each other and the settings are the same .I have tried diffrent lenses just to cover all bases ,as you say it could be a dodgy switch just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem cheers Phill.

I know that on the 1Ds II, you have to half-press the shutter first in order to dial in exposure compensation. Have you tried that?

Yes i do have to half press the shutter to get it to work but it doesn't .I have had no probs with this since i got the camera new in 2005 ,and its just started now so wondered if ide set a custom function or something but settings are the same as on my 30D and that works fine so i think i might be a dodgy switch like Tim mentioned but still open to suggestions cheers Phill.

The easiest fix is buying a new 7D. Just kidding, I'd do the same if I could and my 20D works fine. Haven't had this problem. Maybe someone with a more helpful solution than mine will chime in. Sorry.

I have a 20D and 30D and was thinking of selling them both to get a 1Dmk11 as they seem to be getting cheaper now second hand but would deffinetly get a 7D if i had that kind of money.The camera is fine for pics still just annoying about not being able to use the exposure compensation i will have to change my tecnique and expose of something darker or lighter to compensate and use the ae lock instead by nthe looks of things but cheers anyway Phill.

Have you tried clearing all camera settings and custom function settings, and also removing the main battery and backup battery for 30 minutes, just to really give the thing a "deep reset"? If that doesn't work then it really sounds like a hardware problem.

I did reset it to camera default settings and took main battery out but havent taken the other battery out and left it that long thanks i will give it a go cheers Phill.

I carnt do that Terry as i can only change the speed in manual as the wheel changes the apature and it dosent work so stuck at the same apature all the time .

Hi, this happened to me, and I noticed when I switched it on I needed to make sure that it was pushed twice to the second 'on' setting - the one with the line.

(unless the wheel is broken totally of course)

It may be wort just cleaning all your contact points. If that does not work nor other suggested solutions the a trip to the repairer is the option. The 20D is a go on for ages camera , so it seems (in terms of shutter mechanism) so the cost might be worth it.

It definetly goes to the second line as its always worked before till this happened.I ve cleaned the contacts and tried everything everyone has surgested but all to no avail so it looks like the menders when funds permit .I'll just use it set to on as it works ok then ,thanks everyone for the input cheers Phill.

Hi just an update i decided to clean the lens and camera contact points again but still to no avail ,but i decided as a last resort to put a bit of cleaner on the on off switch and switched it on and off a few times tried it and hey presto is working again,so it looks like it was dirt behind the switch wich must have moved when i put the cleaner on it thanks everyone for the help and i'm over the moon it working right again Phill.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back