• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grackles with white tail feathers (1 Viewer)

Martha E.

Hi, I found this site by a Google Search for Boat Tailed Grackles with white tail feathers. I have sited this bird twice in recent days in the Albany, Ny area. It looked to me that at least one other person has seen this same phenomena, but I can't seem to find my way to this thread. So, help. Martha in Albany

Hi Martha and a warm welcome to you from the staff here at BirdForum.net.

I have come across two Boat-tailed Grackles this past weekend with white tail feathers. One, just had one white tail feather and the other had two white tail feathers. They were obviously juveniles and I couldn't help but wonder if they were siblings.

Hi, Martha!

This site can be a little overwhelming at first. I hope you'll take your time to get acquainted and find your way about. With all the knowledge here, it's worth it.

I've never even seen a Boat-tailed Grackle, much less one with white tail feathers! Bet it's gorgeous! At any rate, there's a good chance that it's a leucistic bird -- meaning that only parts of it are white (an albino is pure white, with pink or red eyes, no pigment at all).

Hi Martha,

Welcome to BirdForum. What you have seen is called leucistic or partial albinism - depending on how it is, exactly. It is due to a reduced amount of pigment in the feathers, usually the dark melanin (actually, it is also melanin that causes the shade of the skin in humans; from dark to very pale). This phenomena is fairly common in various species of New World Blackbirds, among them Boat-tailed Gracklers. There have been many threads on BirdForum on this particular subject. Even if it is fairly regular, it still is a very interesting thing to witness. You probably also know the opposite; i.e. individuals with too much melanin. This is called a melanistic individual, the best known example being the panther.

Try searching for "leucistic" or "albino" here:

http://www.birdforum.net/search.php?

For two particularly striking examples have a look at these links:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=17134

http://www.rubythroat.org/AlbinoMain.html

Last edited:
Hi Martha

Always interesting to see leucistic or albino birds but as I think Boat Tailed Grackles near Albany would be very exceptional as they are only locally found on the coast as far north as SW CT - It's probably a Common Grackle you are seeing in Albany - if your certain of your ID that's a pretty rare phenomenon in itself regardless of the birds plumage.

Luke

Common Grackel with white tail feather

This week spotted a juevenile Common Grackel with a white tail feather. First for me. I guess it is fairly common. At first I thought the tail feather was missing. Location 29.7281,-95.1513, Time 3/2/06 18:03.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back