• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

What are they saying about is the gloomy news.

The reed warblers seemed to be doing better than the previous year with more pairs. There seemed to be a lot of young around from the first broods. But then the floods came and the second broods would have been washed out. However there seemed to be a lot of singing birds and territories were re-occupied afterwards and young were seen from these later broods.
However sedge warblers arrived late and in much smaller numbers than normal. Territories occupied in 2011 were for the most part devoid of birds or occupied by reed warblers.
The main reason I think for the dearth of sedge warblers, was the very poor weather across Europe during their peak migration period. There is no doubt that many of our birds had perished or not migrated fully. This makes it even more devastating as the typical life span is 2 years, which means they only get 2 chances of breeding. Strangely though, this year more birds appeared after the flooding and several broods of young were seen scattered all over the reserve.
I will post the actual totals of pairs asap.
B :)John
Here's the gloomy bit
"Some of the worst results were for wetland birds reed warbler (down 34 per cent) and reed bunting (down 49 per cent), which have seen their nests swept away by floods. Garden birds such as the blue tit (down 31 per cent), great tit (down 42 per cent) and the wren (down 17 per cent) also suffered......The worst hit was the Cetti’s warbler, with a drop of 66 per cent. "

Last edited:
Here's the gloomy bit
"Some of the worst results were for wetland birds reed warbler (down 34 per cent) and reed bunting (down 49 per cent), which have seen their nests swept away by floods. Garden birds such as the blue tit (down 31 per cent), great tit (down 42 per cent) and the wren (down 17 per cent) also suffered......The worst hit was the Cetti’s warbler, with a drop of 66 per cent. "

I imagine once all the results from this year are in there's going to be a noticeable decline in breeding numbers for most birds that feed their nestlings on invertebrates. Even granivorous birds will have been affected as they switch their diet during breeding to invertebrates.

A very gloomy year for many species I'm afraid :-C

I imagine once all the results from this year are in there's going to be a noticeable decline in breeding numbers for most birds that feed their nestlings on invertebrates. Even granivorous birds will have been affected as they switch their diet during breeding to invertebrates.

A very gloomy year for many species I'm afraid :-C

The bird numbers around my patch seem really down lately in general, would expect bigger finch flocks and more woodland birds showing, Thrush numbers very low. Not great :-C

What are they saying about is the gloomy news.

The reed warblers seemed to be doing better than the previous year with more pairs. There seemed to be a lot of young around from the first broods. But then the floods came and the second broods would have been washed out. However there seemed to be a lot of singing birds and territories were re-occupied afterwards and young were seen from these later broods.
However sedge warblers arrived late and in much smaller numbers than normal. Territories occupied in 2011 were for the most part devoid of birds or occupied by reed warblers.
The main reason I think for the dearth of sedge warblers, was the very poor weather across Europe during their peak migration period. There is no doubt that many of our birds had perished or not migrated fully. This makes it even more devastating as the typical life span is 2 years, which means they only get 2 chances of breeding. Strangely though, this year more birds appeared after the flooding and several broods of young were seen scattered all over the reserve.
I will post the actual totals of pairs asap.
B :)John
I have noticed very low numbers of Blue Tit, Coal tit and Great Tit, House Sparrow (normally good for my area), Greenfinch and Chaffinch, but there seem to be plenty of Long Tailed Tits & Dunnock. I have had no Goldfinch on the Nyjer feeders yet this Autumn which is very unusual. I have seen a small flock of about 7 individuals, but normally the flocks are double that size here.
There does appear to be a general lack of small birds around which saddens me greatly. Worrying news about the Sedge & Cetti's Warblers.:-C

I have noticed very low numbers of Blue Tit, Coal tit and Great Tit, House Sparrow (normally good for my area), Greenfinch and Chaffinch, but there seem to be plenty of Long Tailed Tits & Dunnock. I have had no Goldfinch on the Nyjer feeders yet this Autumn which is very unusual. I have seen a small flock of about 7 individuals, but normally the flocks are double that size here.
There does appear to be a general lack of small birds around which saddens me greatly. Worrying news about the Sedge & Cetti's Warblers.:-C

For me house sparrows have remained consistent, starlings slightly better than last year but similar experience on the rest. However, I have seen more goldcrest than usual.

Anyone heard the Cetti's at UW recently?

My experience, having seen growth bars on various species (passerines) is that they're extremely difficult to see with the bird in hand... often requiring the ringer to splay the tail feathers and tilt the bird in the light to detect them. The chances of them showing up in the field are next to none.
I haven't had the opportunity to open my latest BTO missive but I anticipate its contents (on interest grounds) even more than usual now.

My experience, having seen growth bars on various species (passerines) is that they're extremely difficult to see with the bird in hand... often requiring the ringer to splay the tail feathers and tilt the bird in the light to detect them. The chances of them showing up in the field are next to none.
I haven't had the opportunity to open my latest BTO missive but I anticipate its contents (on interest grounds) even more than usual now.

Another fascinating article in the BTO Journal is about the migration of Painted Lady Butterflies. ( you can still join the BTO for a £1 til June next year http://www.bto.org/support-us/join/membergetamember )..anyway, there is a version of the article here if you have not read it. There were not many about this year, I was lucky to find one on my local patch, little did I know about it's amazing migration

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/19991550

Regular visitors may be interested to learn that the local planning authority (Wychavon District Council) have just refused a planning application from the County Council to construct an "activity barn" to be used in association with the outdoor centre. This would have been located where the archery butts are situated at the rear of the Hen Pool. A link to the application and supporting documents is here: http://81.171.139.151/WAM/showCaseF...show&appType=Planning&appNumber=W/12/01265/PN

The most pertinent are the location plan and response from Natural England as part of the consultation process.

I know John and myself keep banging on about this point, but it is vital that as many sightings (rare birds, breeding birds, foraging areas, insects, flowers) as possible are recorded so we have a wealth of data to tackle any future adverse proposals.

Work party at the North Moors today.

Another great effort from 14 of us today.;) not a bad show considering a we had a few 'sick noters' 8-P
We started by carrying the boat the full length of the reserve from the SW marsh to the north end of the North Moors (NM)- In itself a job and half.

This was needed to get the crew onto the island in the top pool (formerly known as Dr Rowe's pool). We cut down most of the willows today, and almost all the cuttings and brash was loaded onto the boat and used to form more dead hedging along the north west section of the trail. This will help form more micro habitat for scrub species - hopefuly including Cettis warbler. The larger logs were piled up on the island to form insect habitat when the wood rots down. All the trees here will be treated at a later date. This will minimize the shading of the phragmites and encourage a more vigorous growth.
Today we also pruned back the north west blackthorn /bramble thicket. This was done, to enable views of the taller rear bushes section, it will also reinvigorate the dead front section.
Welcome to Bob a new vol from Earlswood, even better him being a Bluenose.:t:
Pics
1. Before viewed from the NE corner
2. similar view after the work.
3 and 4 action shots and 3 men in a boat or at least 2 and 'Big Tez'8-P
5. The NW corner scrub and new dead hedge

Attachments

• 1.best b4 (3).JPG
    1.best b4 (3).JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 2.afta wrk (6).JPG
    2.afta wrk (6).JPG
    280 KB · Views: 108
  • 3.action 2 (3).JPG
    3.action 2 (3).JPG
    435.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 4action DSCF5951 (3).JPG
    4action DSCF5951 (3).JPG
    403.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 5. dead hedge and NW scrub.JPG
    5. dead hedge and NW scrub.JPG
    303.1 KB · Views: 119
... Ferg has found a new place. It would be good to get some ringing done in the spring and autumn. What does anyone else think:t:John

Oh, the very emotive and sometimes controversial subject of ringing (and more specifically ringing at Upton Warren) has been raised.
It will surprise nobody who knows me that I am firmly in the "for" camp. Having witnessed at first hand the thoroughness of the training and management of ringers I can put hand on heart and say that they are, without exception, an extremely responsible and knowledgeable cadre of personnel. Yes, there's no accounting for the odd rogue in any band of brethren but those types (if they indeed exist) are not going to turn up at UW if the correct controls are put in place.
But the whole operation, from choice of ringer to timing (season-wise) and site needs to be carefully and sympathetically managed. I have had no contact with Fergus (either ringing or socially) for many months. As I understand it, and I'm quite prepared to be proven wrong, Fergus has sole ringing "rights" to UW. Whether this is a verbal or written agreement with the Trust, I have no idea. I do know that after his last ringing visit he was less than impressed by the negative feedback he got from certain individuals (their identities and numbers are unknown to me).
When I was training with Ferg we identified a number of potentially excellent sites on the Reserve (and in adjoining areas). A number needed scrub management before use and some have (by chance through the excellent work party efforts) received such management.
I am also certain that I could inform one or two would-be interested ringers, should a "vacancy" ever become available at UW. Their interest can be guaranteed, of course.

SJV

Last edited:
Regular visitors may be interested to learn that the local planning authority (Wychavon District Council) have just refused a planning application from the County Council to construct an "activity barn" to be used in association with the outdoor centre. This would have been located where the archery butts are situated at the rear of the Hen Pool. A link to the application and supporting documents is here: http://81.171.139.151/WAM/showCaseF...show&appType=Planning&appNumber=W/12/01265/PN

The most pertinent are the location plan and response from Natural England as part of the consultation process.

I know John and myself keep banging on about this point, but it is vital that as many sightings (rare birds, breeding birds, foraging areas, insects, flowers) as possible are recorded so we have a wealth of data to tackle any future adverse proposals.

Hi Phil,I have probably spent a lot more time at UW after inverts rather than birds this year ( shocking I know, but they get up later ;) )

A few folks I know ( eg Glenn H, Gert ) and others, have submitted numerous records to WBRC this year from Upton Warren wrt odonata, Lepidoptera, reptiles etc. There is a national BDS Dragonfly Survey ending this year which I have made a small number of entries wrt UW, and I'm sure Des has made many. My worry sometimes is that this is not all 'joined up'..I'm sure it is ?
Anyone one can submit records of flora and fauna to Worcesteshire Biological Records Centre..If you have a flickr account and post your tagged pics on the UW Flickr page, or the WWT page, Jason K will pick them up and send a request for details to be recorded, which is very quick and easy
Hope this helps everyone :t:

Oh, the very emotive and sometimes controversial subject of ringing (and more specifically ringing at Upton Warren) has been raised.
It will surprise nobody who knows me that I am firmly in the "for" camp. Having witnessed at first hand the thoroughness of the training and management of ringers I can put hand on heart and say that they are, without exception, an extremely responsible and knowledgeable cadre of personnel. Yes, there's no accounting for the odd rogue in any band of brethren but those types (if they indeed exist) are not going to turn up at UW if the correct controls are put in place.
But the whole operation, from choice of ringer to timing (season-wise) and site needs to be carefully and sympathetically managed. I have had no contact with Fergus (either ringing or socially) for many months. As I understand it, and I'm quite prepared to be proven wrong, Fergus has sole ringing "rights" to UW. Whether this is a verbal or written agreement with the Trust, I have no idea. I do know that after his last ringing visit he was less than impressed by the negative feedback he got from certain individuals (their identities and numbers are unknown to me).
When I was training with Ferg we identified a number of potentially excellent sites on the Reserve (and in adjoining areas). A number needed scrub management before use and some have (by chance through the excellent work party efforts) received such management.
I am also certain that I could inform one or two would-be interested ringers, should a "vacancy" ever become available at UW. Their interest can be guaranteed, of course.

SJV

A lot of important subjects are being covered tonight!

The subject of ringing came up the last time Mike and myself had a management meeting with the Trust (David Dench, Andy Harris, Helen Woodman). Contrary to the above I am not aware that any one group has solus ringing rights at Upton Warren; we were asked to forward any requests received to the Trust for consideration.

My personal take is that a targeted ringing programme focussing on certain birds or habitats is the most appropriate activity, perhaps say looking at reedbeds and its key species - Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Reed Bunting etc. However such an exercise is only worthwhile if undertaken year on year to monitor both trends and returning birds. I wonder if the blocks cut at the Moors Pool in recent weeks by the work party could serve as a venue with reduced disturbance to the habitat.

[/B]

Hi Phil,I have probably spent a lot more time at UW after inverts rather than birds this year ( shocking I know, but they get up later ;) )

A few folks I know ( eg Glenn H, Gert ) and others, have submitted numerous records to WBRC this year from Upton Warren wrt odonata, Lepidoptera, reptiles etc. There is a national BDS Dragonfly Survey ending this year which I have made a small number of entries wrt UW, and I'm sure Des has made many. My worry sometimes is that this is not all 'joined up'..I'm sure it is ?
Anyone one can submit records of flora and fauna to Worcesteshire Biological Records Centre..If you have a flickr account and post your tagged pics on the UW Flickr page, or the WWT page, Jason K will pick them up and send a request for details to be recorded, which is very quick and easy
Hope this helps everyone :t:

Thanks Mark - is there any way to access records relating to UW through WBRC or BDS or is it just information in one way? This year I am adding a list of butterflies and odonata observed to the annual report.

Also, how vigorous is the checking of data submitted? I am huge fan of the principle of BirdTrack but having run a search of Upton records and found American Herring Gull listed for the reserve (only around 25 accepted British records, none in the West Mids area) I am slightly more sceptical.

Thanks Mark - is there any way to access records relating to UW through WBRC or BDS or is it just information in one way? This year I am adding a list of butterflies and odonata observed to the annual report.

Also, how vigorous is the checking of data submitted? I am huge fan of the principle of BirdTrack but having run a search of Upton records and found American Herring Gull listed for the reserve (only around 25 accepted British records, none in the West Mids area) I am slightly more sceptical.

I'm fairly confident the data is a bit more robust than you are alluding too. I've text JK ( he does data collection for WBRC ) to ask him to pick up on this for you, he can answer your queries better than me in this subject. Likewise Mike Averill via http://dragonfliesofworcestershire.weebly.com/index.html would I'm sure be able to help ( although he is very busy finishing the survey I'm sure ! )

Last edited:
Birding today at the Moors

It was good to see the whole of the Moors pool open apart from the south west marsh. The whole of the NM was frozen. The bright sunshine masked the actual coolness of the NW breeze, but pleasant all the same.
A couple of water rail called from the North Moors reed bed.
After the work party
Along the west path were plenty of fieldfare and a few redwing. Curlews and lapwing fed in the ploughed A38 field. Kingfisher were regularly seen in front of the new hide, with plenty of garden species on the feeders.
Along the east side from the secret garden to the east gate was a mixed flock of redpoll (12) and siskin (5) feeding in the alders. More water rail called from the east side, and a buzzard patrolled the east track, until I walked along it.
From the east hide, it was good to see that snipe had returned since the recent floods and last weekends freeze up. The snipe were feeding in good numbers (20+) along the top of the bank in front of the seasonal pool. More birds were feeding on the 'snipe' and other vegetated islands. Then at about 3.45pm birds started appearing directly below the hide. The snipe were feeding in all the areas that had been trodden down by the grazing cattle, creating divots all over the ground. These areas were all on high flat ground, probably because most of the worms would have migrated to the drier sites during the floods. At 4.15 a series of haunting screams and subsequent struggle in the bramble below the hide, saw a sparrowhawk kill and carry away its victim, a blackbird. While this was going on all 22 snipe, just a few feet away from the melee, froze to the spot, some even with their bills in the ground and five minutes later they were still motionless. A minute later I noticed the sprawk feasting on the blackbird on the east track, it flew off shortly afterwards. Somehow the snipe must have sensed this and continued feeding as if nothing had happened. Snipe seemed to be everywhere with more flying out before and after dark from their cover. On the snipe island a jack snipe 'bounced', with this and another or even two different birds washing on the pool island at dark in silhouette. Also prior to dark a lone wigeon dropped in and continually called. On the duck front the pochard had reached double figures but the shovelers had declined. On the way back to my car a Tawny Owl called from the east track gardens
Species count for the Moors:
GCG, little grebe, mute swan 4 (our family), Cormorant c20, Greylag 24 came into roost late on, wigeon, shoveler 11, teal 34, mallard c20, tufted 30, pochard 14, snipe a minimum of 60 (42 counted in and around the scrape), lapwing 105, curlew 9 our wintering flock (cf 15 last year), jack snipe 2, Kestrel, sparrowhawk, buzzard,
JohnB :)

Last edited:

Hi Phil. To use dragonflies as an example, my records this year at Upton and elsewhere in Worcestershire, have been submitted to the county recorder who will forward them to the WBRC and BDS. The WBRC will also forward them to NBN Gateway which holds records for flora and fauna in the UK. NBN Gateway will not be updated until next year. I don't think you will have a problem obtaining records of dragonflies and butterflies at Upton in 2012 if you consult Uptons known insect recorders.

Des.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back