• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Digi-eyepeice (1 Viewer)

Steve J - Darlo

Has anyone else tried the Opticron 40929 DTL, which is an eyepeice specifically produced for the digiscope fanatics.

On my ES 80 it gives me 12.5X mag. plus whatever zoom I have on my Olympus 730 UZ.

Still get some vignetting but this is livable with.

The great bit is the eyepeice is all glass.

Hello Steve,
It appears we made a posting on the same day on this subject, and around the same time as the new expanded forum (a good idea!) This is a copy of my (reply)posting :- ---------------------
Hello Kingfisher, Just signed up to this forum and this is my first reply. The 35x eyepiece does seem extreme - I tried a 20x with my Opticron HR66A, and even this is a bit too much. I use a JVC
GR DVL-20 camcorder, also a Fuji S304 still cam. and have recently bought a newly introduced Opticron 40929 Digital eyepiece. First trials seem very encouraging, but I am awaiting fabrication of a self- designed simple support bracket for the Fuji (just a 3mm thick mild steel strip, bent at 45 degrees to follow angle of 'scope with slotted holes for adjustment - very rigid) - I will keep you posted with the results. The 40929 is 79GBP direct from Opticron and will give 12.5x used with your Imagic 80. Hope this helps.
Roger S
------------------------
I am still waiting for my new bracket, therefore have not fully tested the eyepiece. Initial short test gives a much brighter image than with normal eyepieces, but because the cameras were not fixed I could not take any pics..

Hello again Steve,
Because this posting covers two subjects, namely adaptors and eye-pieces, I have created a new thread.
copy of posting in new thread :-
"Bracket for Cameras without filter thread or are heavy"
I now have my fabricated bracket (as mentioned in copy of previous posting shown below). This is designed to accomodate my still and video cameras, that are not suitable for use with the tube type adaptors.
----------------------
(copy)
Hello Steve,
It appears we made a posting on the same day on this subject, and around the same time as the new expanded forum (a good idea!) This is a copy of my (reply)posting :- ---------------------
Hello Kingfisher, Just signed up to this forum and this is my first reply. The 35x eyepiece does seem extreme - I tried a 20x with my Opticron HR66A, and even this is a bit too much. I use a JVC
GR DVL-20 camcorder, also a Fuji S304 still cam. and have recently bought a newly introduced Opticron 40929 Digital eyepiece. First trials seem very encouraging, but I am awaiting fabrication of a self- designed simple support bracket for the Fuji (just a 3mm thick mild steel strip, bent at 45 degrees to follow angle of 'scope with slotted holes for adjustment - very rigid) - I will keep you posted with the results. The 40929 is 79GBP direct from Opticron and will give 12.5x used with your Imagic 80. Hope this helps.
Roger S
------------------------
I am still waiting for my new bracket, therefore have not fully tested the eyepiece. Initial short test gives a much brighter image than with normal eyepieces, but because the cameras were not fixed I could not take any pics..
(copy end)
----------------------------------------
I have not tested the set-up fully yet, but first results are promising. I need some more practice!
I have attached a picture of the set-up.
-- note added Thursday.3rd.April :-
Forget to mention - my first test picture appears in
Bird Forum Wildlife and Nature Galleries>Digiscoped Photographs>Goldfinch
========================
Steve, I hope this jumble of postings makes some sense, and answers your original question! I am going to the Isles of Scilly for 16 days on Wednesday, so I hope to test the set-up then
within the limits of my mobility (CFS/ME) problems.

I have eventually got round to uploading one of my pictures, taken while on holiday on the Isles of Scilly, Cornwall (UK) during April this year. It is one of a (Eurasian) Hoopoe, one of a number that have recently been seen on the islands. The only adjustment made is to reduce the picture size, to suit website constraints.
The picture appears in the Digiscoped photographs gallery.

rogerscoth

Last edited:
roger have you had any joy with the s304 fuji ive just orded es 80 hd and ive got the s304 am trying to sell it but if it works ill keep it .
many thanks
max

max said:
roger have you had any joy with the s304 fuji ive just orded es 80 hd and ive got the s304 am trying to sell it but if it works ill keep it .
many thanks
max
Hello Max,
Just happened to see your question today (hence the delay with an answer).
I have had some reasonable results with the S304 fitted to my Opticron HR66A 'scope. The main problem with bright background pictures is some blue/purple fringing. If you look at my picture of a Goldfinch in the gallery you will see an example of this problem. I am in the process of upgrading my optics (very expensive!) therefore will soon be selling my current digi-scoping set-up.
One very good and useful featue of the S304 camera is the electronic view-finder. I am still in the decision-making mode for a suitable high-spec. camera to suit my new HD big lense 'scope.

Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back