• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ES 100 (ED Objective in Older Models...?) (1 Viewer)

tdb

I just noticed that the Opticron ES 80 now comes with ED and non-ED glass; and the ES 100 now has ED in it's name "100 GA ES ED" or something like that.

Anyway, I'm wondering if my ES 100, purchased last year, has the ED glass lens, or if only the new ones do. Although I must admit my scope gives me extremely nice views with no color fringing that I can see...

Your model is still current so far as I can tell - all that has happened is that Opticron have launched a "non ED" version of the ES80 and ES100 as they are, I have been told, about to withdraw their Imagic scopes.

The original ES 80 and ES100 both used ED glass - although, for whatever reasons, Opticron never shouted that fact from the rooftops.

Last edited:
scampo said:
The 'old' ES 80 and 100 both contained ED glass - although, for strange reasons, Opticron didn't shout that fact from the rooftops.

Thanks Steve..! I thought that was the case, but as you said, I'm too a bit surprized that Opticron didn't use the ED glass as more of a marketing tool. Troy

It was mentioned on their website - maybe they wanted folks to buy their more pricey HG80/100 scopes?

The ES80/100 series are highly regarded over here as especially good value for money.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back