• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG availability? (1 Viewer)

so the nikon edg (edge) is really good, but impossible to buy atm?

Impossible to buy in Europe.
No intention to release them.
If you import from the USA, you won't have warranty!
(never trust written information: I called Nikon HQ Germany ;)).

After this piece of info, I lost interest in them.
Other optical mothers have lovely daughters, too. |=)|

Oh, thanks for that info. That removes it as an option for us Europeans then.

you trust my word? ;);)

Yes. it's sad. the EDGs look very nice, and I was looking forward to them. The big HGLs are not up to date in every respect anymore.

I only have information for Germany, but I think what is true for us will be true for the rest of Europe.

I don#t know why this decision was made.
There is lots of speculation but no definitive statement by Nikon.

Anyway: an Austrian mother is likely to have a beautiful baby early next year :t:

Impatient as a becoming father,
T

I have to agree that it is sad about their not being introduced in Europe. Maybe the rumors of there being a conventional bridge model with the same optics introduced in your neck of the woods are true.

One can only hope.

...as for availability... I have seen them locally here in the US and online at severl retailers.

I have to agree that it is sad about their not being introduced in Europe. Maybe the rumors of there being a conventional bridge model with the same optics introduced in your neck of the woods are true.

One can only hope.

...as for availability... I have seen them locally here in the US and online at severl retailers.

I have not tried an EDG bin yet, however, from looking at every review I could find, and matching the specs, the optics do appear to be the same as the HGL except for the added ED element.

Given the HGL's excessive CA (more CA than the HG to my eyes), the ED element was a much needed "fix," and adding the open bridged roof design made the EDG competitive with the Swaro EL.

What I suspect happened was this (purely conjecture):

Due to problems with the toulouse popping diopters, Nikon delayed the release of its EDG series, and by the time the final version came out, we were at the beginning of a world wide recession.

So after people's 401ks became 201ks, not many had extra $ in discretionary funds to buy $2k bins or if they did, they decided to hold off because of the still growing unemployment numbers and uncertainty about when the economy will recover.

Meanwhile, the Chinese came out with their ED open bridged clones around the same time as the EDG, and they are selling like hotcakes, because of their surprisingly good quality and much lower price at a time when consumers are looking for value.

Economics may have also played a part in why Nikon decided to re-release the less expensive HG L as the "Premier LX" and why they are holding off releasing the EDG in Europe.

The Premier HG (HG L) provides an alternative to those who want a high end roof but who can't afford to spend $2k on an EDG.

It also provides consumers who have deep pockets but don't like the open roof design with a closed bridge alternative from Nikon.

If Nikon had a crystal ball and could have seen the Wall Street meltdown coming, it might have just added an ED element to the HG L and upped the price $300 like Pentax did on its EDs.

What they need to do to sell some EDGs, but they can't do what Zeiss did with Eagle Optics. Leave out the box, and then charge $600 less! Hope you took advantage of that sale if you wanted an FL. (wonder where all those boxes went? :).

However, Zeiss could do that because the FL has been out for some time, and they have already recovered their R & D.

I'm sure we will see the EDG in Europe after the recovery. Employers are likely to reduce wages to offset loses during the recession (mine did), so that might slow consumer spending on high ticket items like the EDG for some time.

I had my Nikon 8x32 LX up for sale, but couldn't get my price (which was less than what I've seen others sell for on the same online Website, but that's what happens during recessions - people want bargains).

So I'm holding on to my LX for now. I have large hands and would probably find the 8x32 EDG more comfortable to hold, and the LX has more CA than my porros, so the ED element would be a welcomed addition, but I'm not going to pay over a $1,000 more for those two improvements.

After the recovery is solid and my pockets are hopefully jingling again, I might consider buying a "pre-owned" or "refurbished" 8x32 EDG at a good price if it's better optically and ergonomically than my 8x32 LX.

Newer isn't always better, as I found out with the HG L.

However, if the EDG turns out to be the "bee's knees" (threw that in for the Brits :), then I will expect the EDG to last me a lifetime.

Other than add FL glass there is not much else they could do to the EDG (other than add some pincushion to the full sized models!!!).

I think we are reaching (or perhaps have already reached) the limit of optical quality in roof prism binoculars.

From here on in, it will be a matter of personal preference for the optical and ergonomic design choices and amenities of one premium bin vs. another, and "brand loyalty" that will dictate sales.

I also see "made in China" losing its stigma in the future to the point of being equal to "made in Japan" in terms of optical quality.

"Zeiss" and "Leica" and to a lesser extent "Swarovski" will continue to carry their prestige, but with very good Chinese and Japanese alternatives, and continued economic pressures on the US and Europe even after the recovery due to the emergence of China and India as major economic powers, I see worldwide sales slumping for the "Big Three".

My crystal ball is getting hazy so I will now stop. :)

Brock

Last edited:
Brock,

Thank you very much for sharing. Those are some very insightful observations. The part about "bees knees" had me laughing actually and I have never used the term. ;)

Please do continue to share those types of thoughts/commentary....

....and get around to picking up on of the Cascade porros.

:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back