• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Japan - Mark Brazil (1 Viewer)

This will be basically a reduced version of Brazil's Birds of East Asia, I assume?

You would think so, it does maximise the income for the author who's done a broader guide. Most do it now I think if the opportunity exists and it's far more convenient than having to work through the birds of an entire region, I'll buy it.

These single country guides are very useful I think, for those hitting a continent for the first time.

A

Last edited:
it's totally new artwork i believe.
James

That's interesting, especially as 'Birds of East Asia' is relatively new, you would assume they'd just lift the illustrations from that.

Long time since we met on that flight from Bangkok to Phnom Penh James!

Andy

Last edited:
Amazon (UK) says Brazil's forthcoming Helm Field Guide Birds of Japan is a "Reprint edition", which made me assume it was just a paperback version of his 1991 book.

Amazon (UK) says Brazil's forthcoming Helm Field Guide Birds of Japan is a "Reprint edition", which made me assume it was just a paperback version of his 1991 book.

I wasn't aware of a previous title apart from his larger, hardcover book with the Eagle on the cover?

A

OK, this is second hand but attributed to Mark Brazil pers com.

'Some' of the plates from East Asia are being used but there were some he was unhappy with that have been redone. There is also greater coverages of sub-species but there will be some replication of the text from the 1991 book.

A

Hi
Some clarifications. The new book is a Helm Field Guide. It takes some of the art from Brazil's Birds of East Asia (2009), but also features a lot of new art by Alan Harris. It's publishing in June next year.

You can see the jacket etc. here:

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/birds-of-japan-9781472913869/

Amazon has things completely wrong – it is linking the brand new book to the 1991 title (which is an avifauna, not a field guide, and so far as I know has never been even reprinted), and all the prices are wrong too. I have no idea how they've done this (let alone why). I will get it fixed.

Cheers, Jim

Because Amazon a sh1te and rip people off and undercut independent traders - pull your catalogue of the buggers Jim!

Because Amazon a sh1te and rip people off and undercut independent traders - pull your catalogue of the buggers Jim!

Not quite sure how they can rip people off whilst undercutting at the same time?

Human nature drives people to the cheapest option. I have my regular book seller but I'm afraid if it's £15-20 more expensive to use them, it will be Amazon or another every time!

The second site here is post free

http://www.wildsounds.com/cgi-bin/h...roducts/4161-Birds-of-Japan.shtml&Terms=japan

https://wordery.com/search?term=birds+of+japan

A

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back