• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ES80 vs. HR66GAED vs. IM80 (1 Viewer)

randow

I am thinking of getting myself an Opticron scope and have some trouble deciding which one to buy. I have seen lately several models. Among them the IM80 and the HR66ED have caught my attention. The first one for its low weight and price, the latter one for its optical quality. However, I have never looked through an ES80... I have heard its praise so often sung at this place that I thought it might be an alternative to be considered.
Any comments? Many thanks. Felix

Hi Randow

welcome to the forum. I'm a big ES80 fan but also look at Kowa models at similar prices. They tend to weigh less than similarly priced Opticron.

The ES80 is a fine scope by any standards - it is ED, too, and waterproof. The HR66ED is also well respected and recently very well reviewed, but weighs the same as the ES80 and gathers less light (but would this matter in practice - hmm, a good question?). I like the solid feel of the HR66 design, whereas the ES80 does somehow lack that same "feel" of sheer quality (although I'm sure that is merely a feeling).

The Nikon ED78 is a particularly fine scope by all accounts (check out http://www.alula.fi/GB/index.htm for an excellent review of several scopes and www.warehouseexpress.com for a very special sale price). The new model ED82 is certainly a top ranking optic and is now fully waterproof, has a longer lens hood and has the choice of a newly designed zoom lens. In Focus have this scope at a good price.

Let us all know what you finally decide!

scampo said:
The ES80 is a fine scope by any standards - it is ED, too, and waterproof. The HR66ED is also well respected and recently very well reviewed, but weighs the same as the ES80 and gathers less light (but would this matter in practice - hmm, a good question?). I like the solid feel of the HR66 design, whereas the ES80 does somehow lack that same "feel" of sheer quality (although I'm sure that is merely a feeling).

No I think that's a fair assessment of the differences between the HR66 and the ES80.

There is something very special about the feel of the HR66, Pete. Nikons have that feel, too. My son's Swaro is different - it's lovely in every way optically but, I don't quite know - its smooth lines are not 100% satisfying. I could get used to it though!

I can see some will be wondering what the heck all this matters...

Felix,

On behalf of admin and all the moderators, welcome to Bird Forum. We look forward to hearing all about the birding in your area.

I also have the ES80 and find it an excellent scope for the price. Your best bet would be to find somewhere that enables you to try several side-by-side. In-Focus do many field demo events in various parts of the country and they usually have plenty of Opticrons on display.

scampo said:
There is something very special about the feel of the HR66, Pete. Nikons have that feel, too. My son's Swaro is different - it's lovely in every way optically but, I don't quite know - its smooth lines are not 100% satisfying. I could get used to it though!

I can see some will be wondering what the heck all this matters...

Well its all impressions, I'm sure the ELs are wonderful bins but they look awful to my eye. Kowa scopes also look a little strange to me.

I used to use an ES80 - it was a cracking scope, by my mind the best in it's price range. I would recommend trying one if you can as I'm sure you'll be impressed. The optical quality is great and it is very nice to use.

I would find a retailer who has both this and the HR66 in stock and try them both out. Make sure that you spend a good deal of time looking through both and preferably in poor light as you will see any difference in quality more easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back