• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HR66 EYEPIECE ??? Help. (1 Viewer)

jeff.wd

Hi to all
I'm about to purchase my first scope a used HR66 from a reputable shop, should I opt for a HR 20-60 or 28x HDF eyepiece.

Cheers Jeff.

if you going for a zoom definitely go for the HDF 18-54 (on the HR66) zoom. The HDF 28x is very good though. Its a matter of personal choice. The HDF eyepieces are much better than the HR (and cost alot more!!).

Thanks Pete, I should have explained the eyepieces are used items as well, plus I'm trying to keep to my budget.

Cheers Jeff.

I have an HDF eyepiece on a MM2 scope excellent lens.I would go for the 28x eyepiece as i think it will be better than the zoom(sharper,brighter, better F.O.V.

I bought a used HR66 scope last year and also a 18x54 HDF zoom eyepiece. Whilst watching otters on the Isle of Mull the zoom was superb as it allowed much closer observation than a 'one magnification' eyepiece. You can always zoom out a little for a fuller view.

hi d.steeley and welcome to the forum.

I've got the equivalent zoom on my es80 (20-60 on that). I'm still undecided as to what I prefer I had a loan of the 32x (28x on the 66) and it has a wonderful field of view.

Last edited:
Hi folks

zooms are tempting due to the increased mag but still perform poorly compared to fixed mag...Many people start with a zoom and end up changing to fixed. Even the new Nikon, Swarov zooms don't really compare to their fixed mag eyepices. It's like looking down a tunnel compared to a nice wide angle....

I like the fixed eypiece - I had the 32x with my ES80, and bought the 23x for digiscoping. Using the zoom on my sister's Zeiss scope, it does not, as Tim says, compare to fixed eypieces for field of view and brightness.

Hi folks, thanks for the welcome pete. I am thinking of getting a single size lens, though not sure what magnification yet. Need new bins first. My zoom lens is the only one I have, I guess I chose it for its flexibility. My wildlife watching does seem to be enhanced greatly because I can choose to zoom in or zoom out. Some of the shots I had of white tailed sea eagles and golden eagles last summer were a long way off and the zoom did make them viewable although with a narrow field of view. In an ideal world with plenty of spare cash the best option is to have several different eyepieces I guess.

d.steeley, it appears you have slipped through the net and didn't get an 'official' welcome, even though I posted just two down from your first post!! How remiss of me.

Anyway, on behalf of admin and all the moderators, let me now welcome you to Bird Forum.

I hope you enjoy participating in the discussions and we look forward to hearing all about the birding in your area and seeing some of your photos.

Hi Jeff

It seems I've got the same set up as our new arrival Steeley (welcome by the way) and it seems for the same reasons.
I bought my scope from new and was able to test it with both eye pieces and went for the zoom for the flexibilty but also I didnt see a noticable difference at 28x. However I find that I mainly use the zoom at 28 or 32x
With saying that its a personal thing and if you can test them then do it. I used In Focus at Martin Mere and they were very helpful, no pressure selling and I was able to test in their on site hide. Dont know if you'll be able to do the same but it was worth it for me.

Regards

Bill

Hi everyone,
Many thanks for all of your replys, I phoned the shop the next day to find the scope had been sold, DAMN, but they phoned back last saturday to say another had come in with the same eyepiece + a stay-on cover it should arrive this wednesday, unfortunately so should snow.

I'm sure I've made the right choice, now I can look forward to enjoying a new hobby.

Cheers Jeff.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back