• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why do birds Suddenly appear.. (1 Viewer)

Bob.M

... and disappear? I looked out at 8am to see a variety of birds in a feeding frenzy. By 8:30 there was not a soul. It got me wondering if I could get cooperation from the neighbors in noting when the birds were at their place, but I soon gave up on that. But then I realized.. Bob, why don't you look across the street? Viola, there they all were at the neighbors' feeders.
I had initially thought they operated on a schedule, based on the sun and moon. I printed out some Solunar tables and moonrise & set listings, and wrote down when I saw peak bird activity. There was no correlation. Now it appears they do a multi-species flocking thing? I guess one of them says "Hey, lets all go over to the Johnson's feeder." or something like that.
What do you think? Do they all go off to rest somewhere in between feedings?

I watched much the same action going on at my feeders the last two mornings. Much more frenetic than usual and I figured they have that innate sense to realize it was only going to get colder. No fighting either. Just down to the business of eating as much as possible.

You're thinking too hard

... and disappear? I looked out at 8am to see a variety of birds in a feeding frenzy. By 8:30 there was not a soul. It got me wondering if I could get cooperation from the neighbors in noting when the birds were at their place, but I soon gave up on that. But then I realized.. Bob, why don't you look across the street? Viola, there they all were at the neighbors' feeders.
I had initially thought they operated on a schedule, based on the sun and moon. I printed out some Solunar tables and moonrise & set listings, and wrote down when I saw peak bird activity. There was no correlation. Now it appears they do a multi-species flocking thing? I guess one of them says "Hey, lets all go over to the Johnson's feeder." or something like that.
What do you think? Do they all go off to rest somewhere in between feedings?

Bob - You are thinking way too hard about this. It is simply a natural instinct that birds will dine from one feeder to the next perhaps just to make certain the food is still available or even to get another dose of variety in their meal. Birds don't realize neighbors boundries as such... they don't know they are no longer at your feeder vs your neighbor's feeder. It is simply a natural thing for them to do.
I have noticed this for years between my neighbor's feeders and my feeders.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back