• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

scope camoflage body armor DIY (1 Viewer)

zone8848

by using badminton tape, poly foam, and camoflage tape, my 85FL now has a new look and good protection.
the point of using badminton tape is to avoid any direct contact from adhesive residue left by tape, badminton tape is a good choice and can make the armor very tight because it's stretchable.
the front part is first covered with a layer of badminton tape, and then applied with camoflage tape. the hard part is the rear part, poly foam is cut into the right shape and tightened by wrapping badminton tape on it, no double sided adhesive is used.
so now any scope can have a camoflage armor skin like this with very little cost, and the armor is extremely light weight compared with any stay on case.

Attachments

• 20101019104.jpg
    20101019104.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 414
  • 20101019107.jpg
    20101019107.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 313
  • 20101019108.jpg
    20101019108.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 265
why don't you buy the stay on cover , its mutch easier !!

well I simply think their price is a rip off, too expensive and the zeiss stay on case doesn't look much like a protection, still searching for other brand with better quality and the tight camoflage armor won't stop me from using a stay on case either.

I bought some "suede finish" camo tape from the states which the bowhunters use,very warm for cold hands in winter.
It does'nt marr your gear either as it comes off easy if you wanted to remove it at a later date

Attachments

• Camo scope.jpg
    Camo scope.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 354
I bought some "suede finish" camo tape from the states which the bowhunters use,very warm for cold hands in winter.
It does'nt marr your gear either as it comes off easy if you wanted to remove it at a later date

ohh your tape is really good, what brand is it? looks like a heavily armored leica scope.

Hello there..only a comment,..My experience with that kind of tape is bad,I hope is not all the same,but the material I bought,the kind of non-sticky ,wrinkly type of camo tape,got very sticky after a while..the rubber threads that makes for the wrinkly feeling decomposed somehow,with heat and so...it does leaves residue,and gets very sticky to the touch..once again,only the brand I got,(not sure of the brand anylonger,got it out of ebay,when i lived in the USA)

Hello there..only a comment,..My experience with that kind of tape is bad,I hope is not all the same,but the material I bought,the kind of non-sticky ,wrinkly type of camo tape,got very sticky after a while..the rubber threads that makes for the wrinkly feeling decomposed somehow,with heat and so...it does leaves residue,and gets very sticky to the touch..once again,only the brand I got,(not sure of the brand anylonger,got it out of ebay,when i lived in the USA)

I know the tape you mean and its awful.
There are many different types of tape on the market as you know.
The tape I use does not marr your gear at all,if fact my scope is like new underneath and very well protected.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back