• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BUying Today: Nikon EDG 7x42 or Zeiss FL 7x42 (1 Viewer)

308CAL

I can get the zeiss new for about 350$ less.....i am intrigued by the EDG and its flat field though....basically like getting a swarovision in 7x42....

I dont like leica focus so they are out

Has anyone compared these 2?

Henry?

I have compared the 8x42 EDG and 7x42 Zeiss and the Leica HD 7x42 side by side but I have never seen the 7x42 EDG.

I know it's not an apples to apples comparison but such is life.

I much preferred the EDG. Bigger sweetspot. The flat field does it for me.
The Zeiss seems a bit washed out in comparison. Perhaps because of the extra light due to the 6mm exit pupil but I don't think so. It's got a bluish cast. I expect the 7x42 EDG to be better than the Zeiss 7x42.

In fact, given the price of the Zeiss and Leica, I was under impressed. They just didn't have that wow factor at all.

I don't remember any detail but my overriding memory of the comparison is that of the three, only the EDG had the wow factor and I thought it was way ahead of the other two. When I can afford to, I would like to buy the EDG 7x42 but even if I had the money, I wouldn't buy the Zeiss or Leica.

Sorry I can't give more info/opinion but it was awhile ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back