• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Edg vs Pentax ED vs Zeiss Conquest HD (1 Viewer)

absolut_beethoven

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was very fortunate to buy a used Nikon 8x32 first generation Edg in excellent condition at a very reasonable price. Up until now I haven't been able to compare them to my Pentax 8x32 DCF ED that I bought almost a year ago, because I moved to Texas a few months ago and only received them recently. Being the nutcase that I am I also went ahead and ordered a pair of the new 8x42 Zeiss Conquest HD's, which hopefully I should receive sometime next week.

The last time I compared alpha binos was at B&H in New York over 10 years ago. I avoided checking out the latest toys up until now as raising 3 children in Los Angeles leaves very little change to spare. I bought the Pentax based solely on Stephen B's excellent and enthusiastic review of them...

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=208904

I wasn't concerned about their quality as the above review put things in excellent perspective for me, coupled with the fact that I'd have no problems exchanging them, or even getting a full refund from B&H.

I had NO intention of buying another pair of binos for a long time - yeah right!! - but opportunity and my inability to resist temptation has landed me in my current situation.

My intention is to compare these three as critically as possible, and then keep the one that gives me the most viewing pleasure with the least amount of effort on my part.

If anybody has any questions about these binos, I'll be happy to answer your queries to the best of my abilities. Hopefully my upcoming review of these 3 will educate you about my biases so that most readers should be able to make a reasonably informed choice. If my review is half as good and informative as Stephen B's aforementioned review, I'll be a happy camper.

A short preview note in order to whet your anticipation...

I am exceptionally happy to see that the Pentax more than holds its own versus the Nikon Edg. While the Pentax is obviously not perfect, nor the absolute best of what's available out there, I completely understand Stephen B's enthusiasm and do believe that they offer outstanding value for money. I really don't understand why they aren't mentioned and recommended more often. The Pentax badge might lack the snob appeal, but they more than make up for it by their excellent optics and outstanding view.

I am eager to hear your review, especially when you get the hd.

Reviews are more informative when a direct comparison is involved. Everything is relative, right?

I would like to see it as well.

I have never owned or tried the Pentax ED but I may have some explanation for the lack of enthusiasm on them from a larger consumer base.

1) They were/are basically a Pentax SP with ED glass in the objective design. The SPs were highly thought of when they first debuted as they offered excellent optical performance compared to the Alphas of that time but at a fraction of the cost. The ED glass addition to their design certainly improved one of their optical deficiencies (CA control). The problem though is that, at least with the 8x43 model, the field of view is notably narrower than any other model they compare to optically. Since the 8x40-something configuration is the most widely used and most "all purpose" it does bear mentioning despite the fact that the 10x43 and 8x32 configurations are still more comparable to other models.

2) The price increase from the SP to the ED was substantial considering the only notable addition was the use of ED glass in the design. Nothing else, to my knowledge, changed. Many folks have suggested that the price increase was not proportional to the cost of the change in design. If I remember correctly the 8x43 SP originally sold for $599 at most retailers. What was the original cost of the 8x43 ED? $900? That is a $300 markup for a glass change.

Still, having said that I would still love to look through an 8x32 ED some day. I am sure the optics would be impressive. Now if it were just priced in the $500-$600 range I think you would see it in the hands of more consumers.

I really don't understand why they aren't mentioned and recommended more often. The Pentax badge might lack the snob appeal, but they more than make up for it by their excellent optics and outstanding view.

Agreed.:t: Although I have since sold my 8x32 ED, I had it for a year or so alongside my 8x32 FL and it truly held its own. In fact, I liked the color/contrast of the Pentax better than the Zeiss. I think I kept the Zeiss because it is 3+ ounces less, had a touch more eye relief for glasses, and the focus was a bit quicker and lighter, but optically it was practically a toss up. An excellent binocular.

Yes, the 8x43 have a narrow FOV, and the design (except the eyepiece) dates back to something like 1999. I bought the first generation back then, the 8x42 DCF WP. That, too, was nice, but the 8x32ED has a much better FOV.

Good deals come up on the 8x32 ED, probably because they aren't too popular. I got mine new for $560 as I recall.

Kinda wish I hadn't sold it, but heck at one point I had three or four 8x32's. Enough is enough--well, not for everybody. ;)

Mark

I would like to see it as well.

I have never owned or tried the Pentax ED but I may have some explanation for the lack of enthusiasm on them from a larger consumer base.

1) They were/are basically a Pentax SP with ED glass in the objective design. The SPs were highly thought of when they first debuted as they offered excellent optical performance compared to the Alphas of that time but at a fraction of the cost. The ED glass addition to their design certainly improved one of their optical deficiencies (CA control). The problem though is that, at least with the 8x43 model, the field of view is notably narrower than any other model they compare to optically. Since the 8x40-something configuration is the most widely used and most "all purpose" it does bear mentioning despite the fact that the 10x43 and 8x32 configurations are still more comparable to other models.

I've never had the opportunity to check out the Pentax SP, but comparing the specs of the two on Pentax's site, it does seem that you are correct in their optical design in that both consist of EP = 5 lenses in 3 groups and the objective = 4 lenses in 3 groups.

Besides the addition of the ED lens, hence the ED in the name, it also has a dielectric coated prism and improved AG coatings vs the SP. Unfortunately while it gains the hard protective coating, it loses the hydrophobic coating that adorns the cheaper SP, unlike some Vortex models that have both.

2) The price increase from the SP to the ED was substantial considering the only notable addition was the use of ED glass in the design. Nothing else, to my knowledge, changed. Many folks have suggested that the price increase was not proportional to the cost of the change in design. If I remember correctly the 8x43 SP originally sold for $599 at most retailers. What was the original cost of the 8x43 ED? $900? That is a $300 markup for a glass change.

Still, having said that I would still love to look through an 8x32 ED some day. I am sure the optics would be impressive. Now if it were just priced in the $500-$600 range I think you would see it in the hands of more consumers.

Current suggested retail price of the 8x32 ED is $899 vs $549 for the SP, but both can usually be found with large discounts. I paid $750 for mine almost a year ago. A fair price for the quality view and zero fault warranty that comes with them IMHO.

I have almost finished comparing the Nikon and the Pentax, and will post the results within the next day or two. Suffice to say that my initial impressions haven't changed at all, but I am now better informed in hopefully being able to describe the differences between the two.

I haven't received the Zeiss HDs yet, but I'm eagerly hoping that I'll receive them some time this week.

Agreed.:t: Although I have since sold my 8x32 ED, I had it for a year or so alongside my 8x32 FL and it truly held its own. In fact, I liked the color/contrast of the Pentax better than the Zeiss. I think I kept the Zeiss because it is 3+ ounces less, had a touch more eye relief for glasses, and the focus was a bit quicker and lighter, but optically it was practically a toss up. An excellent binocular.

Yes, the 8x43 have a narrow FOV, and the design (except the eyepiece) dates back to something like 1999. I bought the first generation back then, the 8x42 DCF WP. That, too, was nice, but the 8x32ED has a much better FOV.

Good deals come up on the 8x32 ED, probably because they aren't too popular. I got mine new for $560 as I recall.

Kinda wish I hadn't sold it, but heck at one point I had three or four 8x32's. Enough is enough--well, not for everybody. ;)

Mark

I haven't looked through the Pentax 8x43 ED but I can confirm that the 8x32 ED has an almost identical FOV compared to the Nikon 8x32 Edg.

Official specs are 136m for the Nikon vs 131m for the Pentax at 1000m - 408' vs 393' at 1000 yards. To my eyes the Pentax actually seems to have a marginally wider FOV, one of the many things that surprised me in comparing the two.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was very fortunate to buy a used Nikon 8x32 first generation Edg in excellent condition at a very reasonable price. Up until now I haven't been able to compare them to my Pentax 8x32 DCF ED that I bought almost a year ago, because I moved to Texas a few months ago and only received them recently. Being the nutcase that I am I also went ahead and ordered a pair of the new 8x42 Zeiss Conquest HD's, which hopefully I should receive sometime next week.

The last time I compared alpha binos was at B&H in New York over 10 years ago. I avoided checking out the latest toys up until now as raising 3 children in Los Angeles leaves very little change to spare. I bought the Pentax based solely on Stephen B's excellent and enthusiastic review of them...

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=208904

I wasn't concerned about their quality as the above review put things in excellent perspective for me, coupled with the fact that I'd have no problems exchanging them, or even getting a full refund from B&H.

I had NO intention of buying another pair of binos for a long time - yeah right!! - but opportunity and my inability to resist temptation has landed me in my current situation.

My intention is to compare these three as critically as possible, and then keep the one that gives me the most viewing pleasure with the least amount of effort on my part.

If anybody has any questions about these binos, I'll be happy to answer your queries to the best of my abilities. Hopefully my upcoming review of these 3 will educate you about my biases so that most readers should be able to make a reasonably informed choice. If my review is half as good and informative as Stephen B's aforementioned review, I'll be a happy camper.

A short preview note in order to whet your anticipation...

I am exceptionally happy to see that the Pentax more than holds its own versus the Nikon Edg. While the Pentax is obviously not perfect, nor the absolute best of what's available out there, I completely understand Stephen B's enthusiasm and do believe that they offer outstanding value for money. I really don't understand why they aren't mentioned and recommended more often. The Pentax badge might lack the snob appeal, but they more than make up for it by their excellent optics and outstanding view.

That's not exactly a fair or even interesting comparison. You know the Nikon EDG is going to win. A 2K binocular against $500.00 binoculars! Gimme a break!

That's not exactly a fair or even interesting comparison. You know the Nikon EDG is going to win. A 2K binocular against $500.00 binoculars! Gimme a break!

Fairness?? Who said anything about being fair?

As I mentioned above, I OWN these binos, so of course I'm going to compare them. Because there are many people who either cannot afford the alphas, or cannot justify the additional expense, are always interested in these comparisons.

If you're not interested in these comparisons, don't waste your time reading them.

Why don't you give us all a break! The Pentax ed's are great,maybe not for everyone depends on what configuration may it be 8x32 or 10x43 these fit in specs wise with any alpha! I know because i used to have the 10's and i own alpha's. Bryce...

I recently had a chance to compare the Pentax 10x42 ED to the Swarovski EL 8x32 & 8x42, as well as my Nikon Premier LX 10x42, Superior E 8x32, Zeiss Victory 10x42 T FL, Bushnell 10x42 Elite ED, and a set of 8x42 Pentax SP and DCF WP.

The Pentax ED 10x42 were only a fraction of a hair behind the Swarovskis and Nikons. In fact, they were right alongside the two Nikons I listed, though the Superior E gave a wider field of view which gave a more pleasing overall view. I liked the Pentax ED's better than the Zeiss, Bushnell, and other two Pentax models I tried/own.

When I say they were behind, I can't really place my finger on what it was that I liked better than the Swarovski's, perhaps they were a smidge brighter and focus was quicker, but the Swarovski's didn't perform twice as well for twice the price. It was a very slight difference which took me multiple attempts to deterimine a winner by a very narrow margin. The Pentax line is very impressive. I did see a significant improvement between the Pentax ED and SP. Worth the extra $300 IMHO. The SP line is a little brighter than my DCF WP, but that was the only edge I saw.

Not sure what it is about the new Bushnell ED's, but for some reason I have to keep adjusting the diopter to get just the right focus under different conditions (low light, distance, etc). They are great binoculars for under $500 though.

FWIW, I have an old pair of Nikon 7x50 featherweights that are brighter and about as sharp as any binocular I've listed in this post. They are amazing considering their age.

I recently had a chance to compare the Pentax 10x42 ED to the Swarovski EL 8x32 & 8x42, as well as my Nikon Premier LX 10x42, Superior E 8x32, Zeiss Victory 10x42 T FL, Bushnell 10x42 Elite ED, and a set of 8x42 Pentax SP and DCF WP.

The Pentax ED 10x42 were only a fraction of a hair behind the Swarovskis and Nikons. In fact, they were right alongside the two Nikons I listed, though the Superior E gave a wider field of view which gave a more pleasing overall view. I liked the Pentax ED's better than the Zeiss, Bushnell, and other two Pentax models I tried/own.

When I say they were behind, I can't really place my finger on what it was that I liked better than the Swarovski's, perhaps they were a smidge brighter and focus was quicker, but the Swarovski's didn't perform twice as well for twice the price. It was a very slight difference which took me multiple attempts to deterimine a winner by a very narrow margin. The Pentax line is very impressive. I did see a significant improvement between the Pentax ED and SP. Worth the extra $300 IMHO. The SP line is a little brighter than my DCF WP, but that was the only edge I saw.

Not sure what it is about the new Bushnell ED's, but for some reason I have to keep adjusting the diopter to get just the right focus under different conditions (low light, distance, etc). They are great binoculars for under $500 though.

FWIW, I have an old pair of Nikon 7x50 featherweights that are brighter and about as sharp as any binocular I've listed in this post. They are amazing considering their age.

Better than the FL and equal to the Nikon SE! OK, I am going to have to try a pair of these. I wonder how they would compare to the new Vortex Talon HD 8x32.

Last edited:

coolhand luke,

maybe you could put your finger on what you liked better about the EL - the ergonomics. :) best ergos i've tried in a roof format. but as you said, it didn't perform twice as well for twice the price (nearly four times the price of my old 8x32 SE).

you compared the differences in brightness among the three Pentax models, and said that was the only "edge" you saw.

does this mean we can put to rest the rumor that the Pentax WP is sharper on axis than the ED and SP because the aspherics in the newer models skewed the sharpness toward the edge at the sacrifice of centerfield performance? sounds like zeiss fl design rationale.

hud

Nikon vs Pentax vs Zeiss part 1:

This part of the test is the apples versus apples i.e. the Nikon vs the Pentax as both are the premier binos of their respective companies and both are 8x32. The second part will obviously give the Zeiss an unfair advantage as it sports the larger objective lens, but more about that later.

Complete specifications can be found online at the manufacturers sites, so I won’t repeat them here. Suffice to say that the Pentax is shorter and fatter than the Nikon. Even although the latter is slightly heavier at 670g vs 645g (on my wife’s food scale), the Pentax actually feels heavier to me, probably due to its weight distribution in a smaller package, and it’s larger diameter tubes.

I measured the Nikon’s EP as 23mm, and 21.5mm for the Pentax. Looking into the objective lens the internal baffling and lack of internal reflections looks absolutely excellent on both. But one can easily see that the Nikon uses an oversized prism and the Pentax appears to use the smallest prism size one could use and still avoid any vignetting. Turning them around and viewing the eye pieces from a short distance in order to check how close to perfectly spherical the shape of the exit image is, I could see no difference between the two. I don’t have any instruments to measure this, just my well trained eyes eyeballing it. I know that Allbinos found the exit image to be quite oval on the Pentax 8x43 ED, but fortunately that’s not the case here. But the smaller prism does manifest itself in that one has less leeway going slightly off axis before the image does become oval.

Note that all tests were done both indoors and outside in both bright and quite dark conditions. The following is based solely on my own opinion on what I see comparing these two models without eyeglasses and only handheld. Just the way that most users would use these binos. I did sit down and brace myself in order to keep things as steady and consistent as possible. This review comes with the usual caveat, namely your mileage may differ.

The CA control on my particular Pentax binos is absolutely outstanding and as close to zero as I’ve ever seen. Believe it or not it’s actually marginally better than the Nikon in the proverbial sweet spot. Unfortunately this only extends to about 50% of the image and is slightly worse, but still very low right up to the edge. I believe that most people won’t see any difference between these two binos. I’m sure I probably wouldn’t notice any difference in actual use, but I can easily pick it up if I look for it under the right conditions.

The CA control on the Nikon is also outstanding, but has the advantage in that it’s exceptionally low until about the 60% to 65% mark, and pretty much on a par with the Pentax until the edge.

Sharpness on the Pentax is well above average, probably due both to the ED and aspherical lenses, and extends to about 80%, with the image getting slightly softer and less defined until the edge. I couldn’t really see any difference in softness from about 90% right up until the edge. In other words, unlike some binos, image degradation doesn’t increase as one views closer and closer to the limit of the FOV.

Sharpness on the Nikon is just as outstanding as the Pentax but has the advantage in that it extends almost to the edge. About 90% to 95% IMHO. This is very difficult to quantify accurately because one’s peripheral vision is not as sharp, or have the same resolution as one’s central vision. Needless to say that even although the image is slightly less well defined in the last 5% to 10%, it’s still more than sharp enough to be usable right up to the edge of the FOV.

Speaking of apparent FOV, I take back what I said earlier about the Pentax having a slightly wider FOV. Under more controlled and stringent tests, I honestly could not see any difference in the FOV. If there is, it really can't be more than 1m difference between them.

Parallel lines on the Nikon look parallel until about the 60% mark, the last 40% has very,very slight pin cushion distortion that I can see. Both looking up and down. Pincushion distortion starts on the Pentax around the same point that its low CA kicks in, around the 50% mark, but is more pronounced than the Nikon's. Not quite double, but much more noticeable.

The Pentax appears to have the edge in the apparent brightness and contrast department. I believe that the slightly brighter and better contrast image is due to its slightly stronger reddish bias. Please note that in low light situations I can’t see any difference in brightness between them. Although this slight reddish bias is easily seen, in no way do I mean to imply that the image has a reddish tint. This is a comparison between two exceptionally competent binos known for very accurate color rendition.

Colors are rendered virtually the same between the two and are exceptionally close to what one sees with the naked eye. The one exception being the most difficult color of all and that is white. Both render clean bright white as a slightly cream/ivory color. This comes as no surprise to me because in all my years as a watchmaker, amateur photographer and binophile, I’ve only ever seen one lens system that leaves white as virtually unchanged, and that is the Zeiss 10x loupe made especially for diamond grading. This is a doublet with a very pale but effective AG. I’ve owned my Zeiss loupe for about 15 years. Some of the worst culprits render the aforementioned bright white as almost dirty brown!

A lot of people on these forums always want to know about the focus direction, limits etc. So I made an effort to take note of these things for you.

Focus past infinity is about ¼ turn past infinity for both. The Nikon focus from near to far is clockwise and is 1 full turn plus the additional ¼ turn past infinity. The Pentax focuses in the opposite direction i.e. near to far is counter clockwise and is about 1¼ turns to cover the full range, plus the additional ¼ turn past infinity. Both feel exactly the same focusing in either direction with zero free play or backlash. The focus on the Pentax is quite a lot stiffer, but I can still manage it quite easily with only one finger – usually my forefinger. The Nikon has almost ideal tension and I wouldn’t complain if mine was a tiny bit tighter. Due to its low tension and exceptionally smooth feel it can be focused very fast.

Lastly is the depth of field. By that I mean once perfect focus on infinity is achieved how close can you observe before one needs to adjust the focus. Of course this will change as the distance decreases. Note that photographers have a lot more flexibility in controlling DOF by changing both the focal length and F stop of the lens. The Pentax has slightly better depth of field so I guess this partially makes up for its slower focusing ratio.

Besides comparing these 2 to the Zeiss Conquest HD when I receive it, I only have one more test that I’m going to do, and that is mount them on a tripod in order to check the absolute sharpness and resolution that these binos are capable of.

No final conclusion yet, as this is only part one. But as is quite clear from my observations above, the Pentax does an excellent job of holding its own against the Nikon which costs twice as much. It only falls short of the Nikon in a few areas, so it’s up to you to decide if you want to spend additional dollars for those extras. IMHO it’s a real bargain for the quality of the image delivered. It will be interesting to see how well the Pentax fares against the latest generation of Chinese offerings from Vortex, Vanguard, Zen-Ray etc.

Stay tuned for part two which will also include some pics |=)|

Last edited:

This part of the test is the apples versus apples i.e. the Nikon vs the Pentax as both are the premier binos of their respective companies and both are 8x32. The second part will obviously give the Zeiss an unfair advantage as it sports the larger objective lens, but more about that later.

Complete specifications can be found online at the manufacturers sites, so I won’t repeat them here. Suffice to say that the Pentax is shorter and fatter than the Nikon. Even although the latter is slightly heavier at 670g vs 645g (on my wife’s food scale), the Pentax actually feels heavier to me, probably due to its weight distribution in a smaller package, and it’s larger diameter tubes.

I measured the Nikon’s EP as 23mm, and 21.5mm for the Pentax. Looking into the objective lens the internal baffling and lack of internal reflections looks absolutely excellent on both. But one can easily see that the Nikon uses an oversized prism and the Pentax appears to use the smallest prism size one could use and still avoid any vignetting. Turning them around and viewing the eye pieces from a short distance in order to check how close to perfectly spherical the shape of the exit image is, I could see no difference between the two. I don’t have any instruments to measure this, just my well trained eyes eyeballing it. I know that Allbinos found the exit image to be quite oval on the Pentax 8x43 ED, but fortunately that’s not the case here. But the smaller prism does manifest itself in that one has less leeway going slightly off axis before the image does become oval.

Note that all tests were done both indoors and outside in both bright and quite dark conditions. The following is based solely on my own opinion on what I see comparing these two models without eyeglasses and only handheld. Just the way that most users would use these binos. I did sit down and brace myself in order to keep things as steady and consistent as possible. This review comes with the usual caveat, namely your mileage may differ.

The CA control on my particular Pentax binos is absolutely outstanding and as close to zero as I’ve ever seen. Believe it or not it’s actually marginally better than the Nikon in the proverbial sweet spot. Unfortunately this only extends to about 50% of the image and is slightly worse, but still very low right up to the edge. I believe that most people won’t see any difference between these two binos. I’m sure I probably wouldn’t notice any difference in actual use, but I can easily pick it up if I look for it under the right conditions.

The CA control on the Nikon is also outstanding, but has the advantage in that it’s exceptionally low until about the 60% to 65% mark, and pretty much on a par with the Pentax until the edge.

Sharpness on the Pentax is well above average, probably due both to the ED and aspherical lenses, and extends to about 80%, with the image getting slightly softer and less defined until the edge. I couldn’t really see any difference in softness from about 90% right up until the edge. In other words, unlike some binos, image degradation doesn’t increase as one views closer and closer to the limit of the FOV.

Sharpness on the Nikon is just as outstanding as the Pentax but has the advantage in that it extends almost to the edge. About 90% to 95% IMHO. This is very difficult to quantify accurately because one’s peripheral vision is not as sharp, or have the same resolution as one’s central vision. Needless to say that even although the image is slightly less well defined in the last 5% to 10%, it’s still more than sharp enough to be usable right up to the edge of the FOV.

Speaking of apparent FOV, I take back what I said earlier about the Pentax having a slightly wider FOV. Under more controlled and stringent tests, I honestly could not see any difference in the FOV. If there is, it really can't be more than 1m difference between them.

Parallel lines on the Nikon look parallel until about the 60% mark, the last 40% has very,very slight pin cushion distortion that I can see. Both looking up and down. Pincushion distortion starts on the Pentax around the same point that its low CA kicks in, around the 50% mark, but is more pronounced than the Nikon's. Not quite double, but much more noticeable.

The Pentax appears to have the edge in the apparent brightness and contrast department. I believe that the slightly brighter and better contrast image is due to its slightly stronger reddish bias. Please note that in low light situations I can’t see any difference in brightness between them. Although this slight reddish bias is easily seen, in no way do I mean to imply that the image has a reddish tint. This is a comparison between two exceptionally competent binos known for very accurate color rendition.

Colors are rendered virtually the same between the two and are exceptionally close to what one sees with the naked eye. The one exception being the most difficult color of all and that is white. Both render clean bright white as a slightly cream/ivory color. This comes as no surprise to me because in all my years as a watchmaker, amateur photographer and binophile, I’ve only ever seen one lens system that leaves white as virtually unchanged, and that is the Zeiss 10x loupe made especially for diamond grading. This is a doublet with a very pale but effective AG. I’ve owned my Zeiss loupe for about 15 years. Some of the worst culprits render the aforementioned bright white as almost dirty brown!

A lot of people on these forums always want to know about the focus direction, limits etc. So I made an effort to take note of these things for you.

Focus past infinity is about ¼ turn past infinity for both. The Nikon focus from near to far is clockwise and is 1 full turn plus the additional ¼ turn past infinity. The Pentax focuses in the opposite direction i.e. near to far is counter clockwise and is about 1¼ turns to cover the full range, plus the additional ¼ turn past infinity. Both feel exactly the same focusing in either direction with zero free play or backlash. The focus on the Pentax is quite a lot stiffer, but I can still manage it quite easily with only one finger – usually my forefinger. The Nikon has almost ideal tension and I wouldn’t complain if mine was a tiny bit tighter. Due to its low tension and exceptionally smooth feel it can be focused very fast.

Lastly is the depth of field. By that I mean once perfect focus on infinity is achieved how close can you observe before one needs to adjust the focus. Of course this will change as the distance decreases. Note that photographers have a lot more flexibility in controlling DOF by changing both the focal length and F stop of the lens. The Pentax has slightly better depth of field so I guess this partially makes up for its slower focusing ratio.

Besides comparing these 2 to the Zeiss Conquest HD when I receive it, I only have one more test that I’m going to do, and that is mount them on a tripod in order to check the absolute sharpness and resolution that these binos are capable of.

No final conclusion yet, as this is only part one. But as is quite clear from my observations above, the Pentax does an excellent job of holding its own against the Nikon which costs twice as much. It only falls short of the Nikon in a few areas, so it’s up to you to decide if you want to spend additional dollars for those extras. IMHO it’s a real bargain for the quality of the image delivered. It will be interesting to see how well the Pentax fares against the latest generation of Chinese offerings from Vortex, Vanguard, Zen-Ray etc.

Good review. I would really like to see the Pentax ED compared to a Vortex Talon 8x32 ED when they are available. The differences between the Pentax and alphas are as you say going to be small because it is a very good binocular. I am surprised that you think the Pentax had a better DOF because the EDG is well known for being exceptional in that area. The Pentax must have an exceptional DOF.

This part of the test is the apples versus apples i.e. the Nikon vs the Pentax as both are the premier binos of their respective companies and both are 8x32. ....

A sober review as reviews ought to be. They often determine buying behaviour. Well done.
Chhayanat

I enjoyed it also. Thank you for taking the time not only to do the comparison but to post about it as well.

Sharpness and resolution

Eagle Optics confirmed that I should receive my Zeiss Conquest HD this Friday.

In the meantime I haven't been sitting idle. Or more precisely, my eyes have been doing a lot of work trying to determine a clear winner between the Nikon Edg and the Pentax ED as far as sharpness and resolution are concerned.

I did take note of the interesting thread by typo and ronh concerning brightness and resolution - see the link below - and so I restricted all of these tests to well lit test targets. These included many test targets, but final analyses was restricted to tiny print and the tiny patterns on the US one dollar bill at a distance of about 10 meters

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=227441

As before, I repeated all tests both outdoors, and inside. All outdoor test were done in bright sunlight and indoor lighting was provided by a 5000K LED lamp with adjustable brightness. All of these tests were done using a tripod with the Vortex tripod adapter. Unfortunately the latter's knob for screwing on the binos is too long for the Edg I, and so I rested the Nikon on the Pentax. This worked out well and enabled me to switch quickly from one to the other for comparisons.

Two things became apparent to me almost immediately. One, I use my eyes all day and they don't tire very quickly, but I found these sharpness and resolution tests tired them out much faster than usual. Secondly, I needed frequent breaks in order to make sure that I had seen what I thought that I had.

The bottom line is that I really couldn't see any difference between the two as far as sharpness and resolution are concerned. When I thought I saw something with one bino that I seemed to have missed on the other, switching back and forth a few times, or taking a break, proved that not to be the case. This was made even more difficult for me by the tiny advantage in contrast that the Pentax has to my eyes, so it sometimes made certain things quicker and easier to see. This was more apparent to me in bright sunlight than when the same test target was lit with the LED lamp. The latter might be the culprit here as LEDs are well known for emitting zero UV light. Of course maybe UV has nothing to do with it and it might be due to the wider spectrum of sunlight. My eyes were too tired to investigate this further, and it wouldn't have affected the outcome IMHO.

I'll do further tests and comparisons when I have the Zeiss on hand. So it'll be interesting to see if the larger objective and/or the other latest advances such as glass and coatings etc, give it any advantages over these two exceptionally excellent binos.

I've been watching your posts and find them interesting. Holger Merlitz has a recent
review of 8x32 optics, and he found the Nikon EDG at the top. He placed the Pentax
much lower at #7, and in the mid range.
The Zeiss Conquest HD looks like a nice new optic, and as a 8x42, it would be
hard to make a direct comparison with the others.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back