• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski ATS 65 help needed. (1 Viewer)

punta

I want to attach a Panasonic lumix g1 camera body to my scope.

Couple of questions.

Is it possible without a lens on the camera ?
Would it be better with a lens, if so which one is recommended ?
LAST question what will I need adapters wise to connect it to my 30w EP

Appreciate any help.

Hi punta,

You have two options from Swarovski:

TLS800 for attaching the camera body only
DCA for attaching the camera with a standard (50mm or equivalent) lens

The TLS800 is rather expensive, in my opinion, but does a good job from what I have read. I use the DCA which, I believe, is designed for the 20-60x zoom eyepiece but will fit the 30x W with a little packing. You will need a lens with a filter thread to attach via the DCA which comes with various sized stepping rings. Manually focus the scope first then attach the camera and DCA and fine-tune the focusing before taking the shot. To reduce the risk of camera shake try to keep the shutter speed as high as possible.

You will probably find that the balance of your digiscoping outfit will be "back-heavy" as the weight of the camera/lens will cause the eyepiece end to droop. A sliding plate will help alleviate this problem and I recommend a good quality video head for smooth panning, particularly if you get into video.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back