• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 65mm Diascope FOV (1 Viewer)

Andy1

I've been comparing the features of various zoom spotting scopes as I am planning on finally taking the plunge to purchase one this year. The 65mm Diascope has a FOV at 15X of 168'. Most other scopes with 20X minimum power have a FOV of 90' -115'. Using the geometry I remember from high school, the Diascope has two to three times the visible area at 15X compared to other scopes at 20X.

My question is: Does this actually translate to a significant advantage in using the scope in the field - is it easier to initially locate the bird, rather than wasting time searching for a bird that eventually flies away before you can focus on it? I would be using it for mostly land/tree birds so I feel I can live without the 46X - 60X portion of the zooms available in most other scopes since the visible distances are not as great as over the water.

It would seem that this is a great advantage & if the responses concur, I just might stretch my budget to purchase it.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Leica claims 144 ft at 16x with their 62 mm scope. Swarovski says 108 ft at 20x with their 65 mm scope, but that's at 33% more magnification than the Zeiss. Most here who've used the Zeiss zoom acclaim its exceptional FOV.

The 65 is an exceptional scope precisely for that reason. The wider fov is fantastically useful in the field for finding birds.

One feature that is often commented on is that the image is slightly 'soft' towards the edges. That's true, and it is slightly odd when you first use it. But you don't even think about it after a few goes, and it only applies at the very lowest mag. Zoom in to 20x and it's sharp to the edge again.

Presumably Zeiss could have masked off this soft edge and provided a sharp picture edge to edge - but with the smaller FOV of the Leica or Swaro. Personally I'm glad they left it this way - it's much better to have a slightly soft image of a bird on the edge of the image and to lock on to it for a crystal clear view than to miss it because the FOV was too narrow.

They're all great scopes, but I'll stick with my Zeiss.

hornet said:
The 65 is an exceptional scope precisely for that reason. The wider fov is fantastically useful in the field for finding birds.

One feature that is often commented on is that the image is slightly 'soft' towards the edges. That's true, and it is slightly odd when you first use it. But you don't even think about it after a few goes, and it only applies at the very lowest mag. Zoom in to 20x and it's sharp to the edge again.

Presumably Zeiss could have masked off this soft edge and provided a sharp picture edge to edge - but with the smaller FOV of the Leica or Swaro. Personally I'm glad they left it this way - it's much better to have a slightly soft image of a bird on the edge of the image and to lock on to it for a crystal clear view than to miss it because the FOV was too narrow.

They're all great scopes, but I'll stick with my Zeiss.

I totally agree I wouldn't use any other zoom I find their fov far too small. It's not just at 15x that the fov of the zeiss is excellent but throughout. I haven't done a head to head with other zooms but comparing my zeiss at 27x with my old kowa 613 with a 27x WA the fov seems very similar. I was a die hard fixed mag WA eyepiece fan and have now been converted.

Steve

Hi Andy,

I'm another one who thinks the Zeiss zoom is a wonder.

While I'm absolutely certain that the much wider FOV on the Zeiss gets me into birds more quickly, another compelling argument for its use is - purely and simply - that it's much, much more pleasant to have a view that isn't reminiscent of looking down a toilet roll tube!

As Hornet says, the slightly soft edges to the image at low magnification is an irrelevance to most users (though to be fair, some people can't get used to it): because you instinctively put the bird in the middle of the view, what's going on at the periphery is simply not an issue.

I wouldn't be without this scope and eyepiece: for me, it's nigh on perfect for what I do.

blythkeith said:
I'm another one who thinks the Zeiss zoom is a wonder.

When I had a chance to compare several of the top scopes, I was also struck by the wide FOV. However, that is at a price that has not been mentioned yet. There is some distortion (not just softening) towards the edge. It becomes apparent and somewhat irritating when you look perpendicularly at a structure such as a wall or a wooden fence. But for most situations it may not be a problem.

Swissboy said:
When I had a chance to compare several of the top scopes, I was also struck by the wide FOV. However, that is at a price that has not been mentioned yet. There is some distortion (not just softening) towards the edge. It becomes apparent and somewhat irritating when you look perpendicularly at a structure such as a wall or a wooden fence. But for most situations it may not be a problem.

I own and use the Zeiss 65 and agree with your comment. There is an area of distortion when the eyepiece is at 15x. It largely disappears as the power is increased.

I use 15x as sort of a finder and view usually at 25-30x approx.

The scope is for me very usable. A scope for someone not particulary adept at using a scope.

Mike

Hello,

Here's another vote for the 65mm Diascope. The softening at the edges has never bothered me, and I use mine at 15x a good bit. Also, off the FOV issue, the little scope is of a size that makes it very easy to carry around if you like to hike and bird, as I do.

A great piece of equipment!

Bill

Hi Robert,

yep, I forgot all about the slight barrelling you can sometimes see looking at straight lines at low magnification.

I noticed that the day I bought it, thought about it for a moment and concluded that it won't make a blind bit of difference to my birding.

Now, 4 months later, I can say hand on heart that I've never noticed it or thought about it since.

I read on here that it some barreling is an almost unavoidable result of the way zoom lenses work - one of our very knowlegeable American friends made the point - and for me it's just not an issue.

But yes, in the interests of fairness it's right that we should mention it.

Andy1 said:
I've been comparing the features of various zoom spotting scopes as I am planning on finally taking the plunge to purchase one this year. The 65mm Diascope has a FOV at 15X of 168'. Most other scopes with 20X minimum power have a FOV of 90' -115'. Using the geometry I remember from high school, the Diascope has two to three times the visible area at 15X compared to other scopes at 20X.

My question is: Does this actually translate to a significant advantage in using the scope in the field - is it easier to initially locate the bird, rather than wasting time searching for a bird that eventually flies away before you can focus on it? I would be using it for mostly land/tree birds so I feel I can live without the 46X - 60X portion of the zooms available in most other scopes since the visible distances are not as great as over the water.

It would seem that this is a great advantage & if the responses concur, I just might stretch my budget to purchase it.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
You will find many e-mails on this site about this. I think that the Zeiss zoom is superb. It does what a zoom eyepiece should do: it shows more of what you're looking at; and it makes spotting that illusive distant bird easier. And that's what scopes are supposed to do. The Zeiss Vario eyepiece shows about 50% more area than even the nearest competitor.

That said, for many people, there is more to the scope than just field of view. I suppose that's why people by other scopes than the size. Certainly, if you were not just buying a zoom eyepiece, there are many other good makes to be looked at. The Nikon, with its 30x eyepiece, takes some beating, but Leica, Swarovski and Kowa, as well as Opticron all offer excellent products with a fixed eyepiece.

Last edited:
Another Zeiss 65 zoom fan here - you can't beat the fov for finding the bird then zooming in - brilliant, particularly when the landscape has few noticeable features, just large open moorlande as up here on the Cumbrian fells. Go for it! And the outer 10% soft focus is no problem at all, nor the split focussing wheel as some reviewers bleat about!!

Good luck

Barry

Bill A said:
I agree with Barry; in fact, the split focussing wheel is actually a plus in my opinion.

Bill

I definitely agree on the split focussing. Though in my case it's the Leica which actually pioneered this. The advantage on the Zeiss is that the focus wheels are a bit more apart. But that is only important when wearing gloves.

Swissboy said:
The advantage on the Zeiss is that the focus wheels are a bit more apart.

.........and centrally positioned, which is much more user friendly if you are a leftie

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back