• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Go Pro cameras. (1 Viewer)

Dave Williams

I have been deliberating over buying a camera for some underwater snorkelling type of photography but I also want something for taking holiday snaps without the need to carry big and bulky DSLR's. The Hero4 Go Pro might fit the bill but I find that there is little information about other than on the manufacturers web site.
Most photography web sites seem to virtually ignore it's existence.
Any ideas why or feedback on performance would be gratefully accepted.
Initial cost of the camera body seem comparable with other compact cameras but so you have to spend a further small fortune on extras to make it usable ?

The GoPro series are primarily video cameras which is why they are not featured on photography sites. The still function is a compromise which only makes sense if your prime focus is video. I would just go for one of the waterproof compacts but I can't advise which one. I use the Fuji x100t as my travel camera.

Hope this helps

Steve

Reviews you may have seen?

http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/gopro-hero4-silver/

http://uk.pcmag.com/gopro-hero4-silver/36650/review/gopro-hero4-silver

and you can download the full manual with its specs and how long to let glue set etc. from the GOPRO support site.

It is clearly more of a video camera than a still camera, but it has its uses. I think that it is a great action video camera, but no one seems to rate its stills. I am waiting for someone to convince me to buy one!

I am toying with the thought of getting the latest Oly Tough. It now will shoot RAW.

For those that didn't get the WEX e-mail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyPe4EYaRFc&cm_mmc=exacttarget-_-marketing-_-lm_3161397-_-pigs-b&utm_source=exacttarget&utm_medium=3161397&utm_campaign=pigs-b

Last edited:
Reviews you may have seen?

http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/gopro-hero4-silver/

http://uk.pcmag.com/gopro-hero4-silver/36650/review/gopro-hero4-silver

and you can download the full manual with its specs and how long to let glue set etc. from the GOPRO support site.

It is clearly more of a video camera than a still camera, but it has its uses. I think that it is a great action video camera, but no one seems to rate its stills. I am waiting for someone to convince me to buy one!

I am toying with the thought of getting the latest Oly Tough. It now will shoot RAW.

For those that didn't get the WEX e-mail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyPe4EYaRFc&cm_mmc=exacttarget-_-marketing-_-lm_3161397-_-pigs-b&utm_source=exacttarget&utm_medium=3161397&utm_campaign=pigs-b

Thanks for those links, I hadn't found them previously. Battery life seems a real problem and it would be interesting to know how long they take to recharge using a USB connection.
Must admit the Olympus Tough was the alternative I had in mind too.

Thanks for those links, I hadn't found them previously. Battery life seems a real problem and it would be interesting to know how long they take to recharge using a USB connection.
Must admit the Olympus Tough was the alternative I had in mind too.

I've just bought one, the reason I went for Gopro is they seem to be the only one with a half decent battery life compared to cheaper versions but its still poor really(about 90mins) so I bought 2 spare batteries.I also bought a wall charger which takes about 2 hours to charge I think its supposed to be about double that using the USB.
I only bought it for video not stills but I've been very impressed so far, One thing to remember is you'll need a copmuter and or TV capable of playing the footage back, my fairly old LCD TV can't play back 1080p and 1080p 60 frames per second can be a problem on some computers.

I've just bought one, the reason I went for Gopro is they seem to be the only one with a half decent battery life compared to cheaper versions but its still poor really(about 90mins) so I bought 2 spare batteries.I also bought a wall charger which takes about 2 hours to charge I think its supposed to be about double that using the USB.
I only bought it for video not stills but I've been very impressed so far, One thing to remember is you'll need a copmuter and or TV capable of playing the footage back, my fairly old LCD TV can't play back 1080p and 1080p 60 frames per second can be a problem on some computers.

Have you taken any stills you can share Adam ? I'd be interested to see some examples. Thanks Dave

Have you taken any stills you can share Adam ? I'd be interested to see some examples. Thanks Dave

I haven't taken any stills (not even quite sure how to) as I said I only bought it for video but the quality of the video is excellent and I'd expect the photo's to be good.
I'll see if I can work out what to do and post some photo's.

Thanks Adam.
I was looking at the GoPro website and it seemed fairly straightforward with easy options to change from video to time lapse to single shot on the touch screen. Still capture is the deal maker or breaker for me I think.

Its easy to take stills anyway, Just took these in the back garden I've had to crop them(about 50% of original size) to get them small enough to upload onto here. The light is fading a bit out there but the quality doesn't look that great once cropped but they look decent before cropping. If it was just uncropped general holiday snaps you're after its probably pretty good.

Attachments

• GOPR0178.jpg
    GOPR0178.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 83
  • GOPR0179.jpg
    GOPR0179.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 83
The back garden shot looks good,but the rose, well it's out of focus, possibly because you were too close.The fence looks excellent though! I'm impressed!

The back garden shot looks good,but the rose, well it's out of focus, possibly because you were too close.The fence looks excellent though! I'm impressed!

Yeah i think i messed that up a bit, its was blowing about in the wind and i noticed the fence looks okay. I reckon it takes pretty decent stills but it does seem to be very much a video camera that can take stills rarther than a camera that can take video.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back