• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visible migration (1 Viewer)

Mark D

BOG member
Howdo,

This morning I visited a local reservoir and saw 6 Crossbill flying over heading WSW. This brought back memories of the last few Autumns (Falls?) where I took part in visible migration counts.
My interest started about 4 years ago when I was introduced to the phenomena and now it takes over my Autumn birding!

The first year I watched a site regularly on my own, the following year I shifted sites and other local birders started watching elsewhere. The next year we co-ordinated our efforts and word got out to other like minded folk up and down the UK, and now we are all counting and reporting back via a users-group.
It's hard to explain the buzz you get during a "big day" when thousands of birds have been passing overhead, but it is very addictive (and not against the law!)

Is any body out there interested in joining?
This is a UK based co-ordinated watch, but I'm sure if anyone elsewhere in the world posts interest here they would find like minded folk to set up something similar.

The group address is;
http://groups.yahoo/group/vismig

:t: Mark

Keep getting a bad gateway error whilst trying to join the yahoo group.

I would love to join. The Vis Mig we get around Lowestoft is great.

CJ

As I'll soon be moving back to the Lincolnshire coast I'd be delighted to take part in a wider study of vis mig - probably one of the most exhillirating forms of birding there is. There is no better way to learn the importance of calls.

MV

'The Narrows' at Spurn (East Yorkshire) is a great place for vis mig as you have the sea, the river and the sky to watch.

Dave

Cheers to those of you who have joined up, it'll be great to have a greater spread of birders around the UK reporting back.

Mark

Hi Mark,
For the most part,visible migration in Ireland is quite poor,as we are that bit too far west.Remember it being spectacular in Bulgaria,though:White and Yellow Wags,Meadow,Tree and Red-throated Pipits,raptors(many species),White Pelicans,both stork sp(mostly Black!)etc
Harry H

Hi Mark,
I was there in late September,so many of the species that I got would be possible then(and those such as Honey Buzzard and Black Kite should be slightly more abundant,both being early migrants).
A few others on the forum(Michael Frankis at least and think one other member?)have also been there.
You should have a really great time there:I did!
Harry H

thanks guys for the info, unfortunately we didn't get our act together soon enough as when I tried to book it it was all booked up! never mind, we're off to northern Greece instead, looking at the Nestos Delta for a week.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back