• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female Goosander Photo - Please Advise (1 Viewer)

Julian Mole

Hi,

This afternoon I managed to get half an hour to go and photograph some Female Goosanders on the River Cherwell in Oxford.

I used my new 100-400 L lens, despite the overcast conditions I managed to get a few reasonable shots. I have attached the best photo I took, showing the full frame and my cropped and sharpened version.

I would really appreciate any tips for future attempts at photographing these birds (I shall be going back on a day with better light) plus any critique on how I've crop the original image.

Thanks. : )

Attachments

• IMG_9915ff.jpg
    IMG_9915ff.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_9915c+s800x500.jpg
    IMG_9915c+s800x500.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 204
PS. Just realised that if I sharpen the 800x500 image it brings back some of the detail lost by resizing.

Had previously; cropped at full size, sharpened and then resized.

Attachments

• IMG_9915c+s800x500s.jpg
    IMG_9915c+s800x500s.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 195
I do the sharpen and some other processing at the 800x600 jpg in AE6

Any trimming/cropping done at the raw stage in DPP

But hey I am learner at this

Hi Nikon Kid,

Thanks for the reply. :t: (my only one! |:(|)

It seems I may have posted this question in the wrong place, either that, or everyone's too busy talking ABOUT their equipment, RATHER than how to take good bird photos?

Or is that being too harsh? : )

hi
is this a male bird Goosander took it with a Nikon D40 300 sigma lens
i,m still not good with the names on water fowl;);)

Attachments

• goslander 1.JPG
    goslander 1.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 133
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back