• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hummingbirds caught in screens (1 Viewer)

bradley

Now that the hummingbirds are becoming active-- they are getting in my screen porch and getting their beaks stuck in the screens. Sometimes I find them in time to save them but sometimes not :((

Any tips on preventing the hummingbirds from getting stuck in the screens?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Other than putting some kind of material over the screen that they can't penetrate, I seriously doubt there will be much you can do. Is it an open area w/o a door? if so, perhaps you can get a roll of heavy plastic and put it across the entrance way but this way you would still be able to fold the plastic to get in and out?

I keep the door open so the dogs can get on the porch and nap. That is how the hummingbirds get in.

I thought about hanging something on the screens to scare them away -- similar to the decals you can put on glass windows.

Any thoughts on that?

Need an entrance for the dogs down low or just put a sheet over the door leaving enough room at the bottom for the dogs to come and go. If I leave any door open (garage, house or other, hummers will come in and not be able to get out). I had a hummer stick his beak thru a strand of a blue tarp and I found him long after his death. I did remove the tarp. A hummer that would run into a screen must be very scared. It is hard to not have any red in a room; they will come after it.

The feeders are outside the screen porch about 25 feet away. The sheet in the doorway is a good idea. I will try that.

Thanks!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back